Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Another new squeak, no mice though!

YellowVan

Enthusiast
Hi,
Squeak seem to be my problem at the moment.
First the squeak from the front left(ball joint replacement, thanks Clementine for the instructions!). Now a new squeak has started from the right rear of the car. I have recently been towing a small trailer and this is when it started. It sounds like the rear suspension that is making the noise when it is going over bumpy ground. I can make it squeak sometimes by rocking the car, though the squeak is not always present. Is there anything else apart from the rear suspension shock absorbers that is likley to make this noise.
Any help advise really appreciated.
Cheers

Try squirting the shock absorber bushes with WD40 to see if it eliminates the noise - otherwise there is little else on the rear that squeaks. If you've got no WD40, does it squeak on a wet day?

Steve, thought you weren't replying to any posts from people who didn't disclose their whereabouts!
Must be all the Christmas Spirit(s).
I also have a 'noise' eminating from the rear of my car, always when turning right, going around a roundabout, turning right at a junction, usually with a load though I can get it to make the 'noise' when cornering hard, as I say it's only when turning right, never left and the only sound descriptive that I can give is "de doink".
Bearing? The dreaded Spanish Chassis Split? Torsion bar?
I've no idea and I don't know how to go about finding out, any ideas anyone.
Plus, it only happens when the suspension's compressed/compressing on the rear left.

Rudi, it could be a knackered shock absorber. They can still be knackered inside without showing any leaks.

Being a moderator I can remove my post to Yellow Van as I clearly made a serious mistake and I'm chastising myself as I type with a nice cold glass of Guinness as punishment. I promise to be more vigilant in the future....

'Yellow Van' please put in your location NOW and we can all live in harmony :>)

I agree with Steve on all counts.

The da-dunk noise at the back might well be a bearing moving around. They aren't expensive so replacing the bearing would rule it out at the very least.

Other da-dunks under load might be due to the dampers (bit of air in them might do that), the torsion bar bearings (they never wear out so it won't be that), the suspension mountings moving against the chassis (if the car isn't leaning to one side then discount that), YellowVan's mouse (or anything in the back) bouncing against your bulkheads (it would sort out YellowVan's problem if the mouse is now in your Renault), or the boot lid and boot lid spring or hinges (that are responsible for most squeaks, rattles or bumps in the night in the back of a R4).

I'm hoping it's YellowVan's mouse, that way my cat Hieronymus Posch (named after the Flemish painter don't you know) or HP for short, can deal with it and save me the cost of the bearings and a new set of rear shocks!
Thanks for the advice and the deductive tips to you both.
If I don't get the chance closer to...have a fine Christmas and a breakdown free New Year.
Now, of to the engineering shop for a set of rear wheel bearings methinks.

My location

Hello all,
Sorry for the delay in replying to your posts but christmas and new year has been hectic as it probably has been for everyone; Happy New Year.

Please do find my profile on the site.

Still go a squeak / grawnch type eeeorrr sound, further investigations needed.

Cheers

Back