Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

antifreeze in the sump

mick-1964

Enthusiast
Hello

I bought a 1986 renault 4 van ,I pulled the dipstick and it had a cream colour I thought it might be just the cylinderhead ,so I drained the oil/slush...

The first litre was clear blue antifreeze followed by gunk....

The van has been stood since maybe 1996.....

Do you think someone has put antifreeze into the oil?

also ,sorry ,the clips on the exhaust [rubber and bolts]have snapped ,I thought I could get them on e bay ,am I putting the wrong search in...:confused:

Many thanks I have loads more questions...:hug:

Sounds like some one has put antifreeze in the through the engine oil filler cap by mistake, I would suppose as long as they have not started the engine afterwards it could be just a case of another flush, then top up the engine with oil and see what happens.
I should imagine that all of the antifreeze would have eventually drained through to the sump if it had been standing a long time.
For the clips on the exhaust search on "Cars, Motorcycles & Vehicles" then go to "Parts & Accessories" and down that list is classic car parts click on that and then type Renault4 in the search page.
Then again all you have to do is go to this home page and click on spare parts, which will take you straight to the E bay R4 pages which is easier.
billy

More likely that the antifreeze has got into the sump via a defective head gasket or liner base seals. If it hasn't been started for 13 years then I would suggest fitting another engine that you know is good. This will save yourself a lot of heartache in trying to repair the old one. Exhaust mountings should still available from Renault.

the clips on the exhaust [rubber and bolts]

Do you mean the hex rubber mounts (see pic)? If so we got replacements in France from our local auto shop Norauto.

• 390076355695.jpg
    390076355695.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 100
There the ones ,do you know the french for them?

vous avy une rubber blocks pour enchantement pour Renault quatre...:eek:

I still have one in the original pack (they came in a pack of 2) the description is just Silent Bloc !! The part number (for Norauto) is 255-627.

I just took the old one in and asked "Avez vous quelque chose comme ça pour une renault quatrelle"

I still have one in the original pack (they came in a pack of 2) the description is just Silent Bloc !! The part number (for Norauto) is 255-627.

I just took the old one in and asked "Avez vous quelque chose comme ça pour une renault quatrelle"

merci

I will give it a go....:cool:

Back