Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

As if.....

reidalpine

Enthusiast
As if you guys & gals don't have enough on your plate this time of the year with vacation/holidays coming up and you're still not ready with that essential thingy you've planned to fix first on the 4 before going.....

-I am wondering if there would be any interrest in a R4 scalemodel/toycar coloumn here on the Forum?

Asking as I am collecting any/all Renault/Alpine/Gordini &
Saviem/Berliet-models myself-Are there other small-scale nutters out there??
I'm collecting anything from cheap&cheerful to handmade
and find equal satisfaction in the cheap ones if they've got 'The Feel'

What I had in mind was a picture or two Plus short description
(Manufacturer/Year/Ref.#/Size or scale/Material etc)
I know they are issuing Tons of new/current stuff which is all fine by me-but being more into old(er)obsolete ones this is where I would begin -If ANY interrest that is :confused:
-R.

I think you most be the only one here who collects the models. It would be interesting see pictures of the ones you like the most, and to know about why you like those particular ones.

Model cars in Britain were mainly made by three companies "Corgi" , "Dinky" and "Matchbox" but I can't recall them making a model of the R4. A few of our members collect literature. French Ebay must be a good source Reidalpine if you've got the language skills. Your knowledge of English is superb.

hi reidalpine

i have the same illness as you...
i have been collecting R4 models for about 5 years and spent over £2000..

i ve got some unusual ones...rare ones

andrew

Hi again malc!

-I will put together some pixes of some of my fave 4-models and toycars.
but be warned-It is SO easy to be smitten by the collector-bug!
don't tell me I didn't warn you all c",) -R.

you will lose the underside of your alpine now....speed humps everywere

regards

andrew

Hi Brian! Ahh Gordietown -what's the name of that fantastic pub with Real live music out in North Shields again??

Dinky Toys made some really nice versions of the R4 at their Meccano-factory outside Paris
-they also had the Pilen-factory in Spain make further versions of it under the Dinky-Toys banner They are all really nice 'crisp'models

In addition to the R3 and the R4 they also made the special version that was delivered to the French army (jeep-type/Sinpar) equipped with radio-telephone etc. One version was military-slab green the other one was kaki-coloured.Most special version was no doubt the
Tv and film-related version from the French movie 'Les Chevaliers du Ciel' featuring front mounted radar,special antenna,removable canopy and 2 figures of the heroes from the film.Nice and very much sought after!
Sadly Dinky never got round to manufacturing the F4 :-(

French eBay is as you say a good source,but seing all them French
being interested in all things French (Funny that!)prices tends to be
high(er) I try to seek models of French cars in other markeds where
the interrest might not be as intense as in France.
but you know,beggars can't be choosers so naturally I also buy from France!

My French is very basic,but where there's will-there's hope!
Thx for your kind words about my English-spending loads of time down Dorset-area I HAD to learn it to be able to speak to the natives and tribemembers !! -R.

Hi Reidalpine , greetings from Geordieland. I think the pub you mean is called the "Wooden Doll". North Shields and the riverside have changed a lot in the last few years. The fishing boats are all but gone and the property developers have moved in. However the daily DFDS ferries continue to run to Scandinavia although sadly the service to Bergen is closing (fuel costs) within the year but I'm sure some other company will restore it. Why don't you bring Roffen and perhaps trailer for an amphibious adventure and join in the Great North Run with Malcolm at the end of the summer? It would be great to meet you and Roffen - your pictures on a previous post are impressive. I was fascinated wih your info on Dinky cars-now we'll all get your bug and drive up prices- your enthusiasm is contagious:).

HI Brian! -I think you're right about the pub,were there couple years ago on a Real sweathy Blues-night-Unforgattable on so many levels!

We used to take the ferry over to Nw'csl from Haugesund-and you are right,they close down All routes (Bergen/Stavanger and Haugesund) ALL due to imbesil Norwegian g'mnt who is ONLY in it for the money!!
Got good memories from Georditown-been to the Baltic couple of times(Looong walk from the Monument down there carrying bags filled with gladrags let me tell you-feet feeling like two raw hams!) wife dragged me kicking&screaming to that 'little' shopping- center of your..Not sure i'm all recoved yet!

This summer we will do the Opposite-go North to Vardoe (5000km's total) if there's still life left in Roffen we might pop out of the woodworks somewhere near you would have been nice meeting up as you say ,so You never know!
Had actually a plan-B in mind for this summer namely going to Ecosse drove all around coast once before but Only thing I can remeber is 'Slainte-wa'(??) used to be the last thing heard before waking up day(s)later... bad-Bad people c",) so thought I'd have another Real look..

-that was until wife informed me I was very keen on going to Vardoe.

Think I've might stirred up a hornets-nest about the models/toycars so to keep it buzzing I will send some pixes asap.....
-R.

The trip to Vardoe sounds exciting , it must be a long way north. The weather in Ecosse (Scotland) can be very unpredictable even in summertime although the scenery on the west and northern coast is beautiful. "Slainte wa" is I think the gaelic drinking toast- wishing others "good health", prononced phonetically as "slanjy var". The Scots and geordies are dedicated drinkers and have a lot of other things in common.(Scottish & Newcastle Breweries)
I'm delighted you enjoyed your visit to Ncsl and look forward to meeting you if you manage plan B.( There is now an electric bus service between monument/citycentre and the quayside/Baltic)
Pensioners are all over the roads in the suburbs of Ncsl and thats why I need the wonderful damping of the R4 to cushion the bumps.
THe pix of your models are impressive:)

Hi again Brian! Vardoe is about as far North as it is poss to go on the
mainland at least. Last time I was up there on a motorbike I cracked the windshield on my fairing-All alone on the road so must have been one of those 4engined mosquitos they have up there.
Slanjy Var must be a code-like You say good when meaning BAD c",)
I felt I needed a vacation when returning home!
amongst other places in Bonnie Scotland we stayed at a really nice
place on the west-coast called Loch Torridon beautiful scenery and lovely Inn. reminded me of a Norwegian fjord actually.
Roads leading to this place must have been specially designed to fit R4 as they go over long open mountain-like ranges with lots of bends and curves...
Funny you should mention Newcastle Brew.as N'cstl Brown is my Favourite beer!! Not too happy to hear they're about to be bought up by some Russian beer-co though.
We use to stay at Toby's next to Novotel little N. of N'cstl-Easy access ,cheap prices,clean rooms and carvery all week-end with
turkeys size of a Fiat!
Just for the H of it I use to cross the pensioners going full speed just to show owners of socalled 'modern'cars what they are missing out on-having to slow down if there's a slight shade on the road..
-Never been better suspension made than torsionbars-just pack a little extra weight in the rear -especially the van as they obviously were meant to be loaded. I have a cut and sandfilled innertube in there.Nice to be able to distribute weight around too.
-Would be Great to meet up -maybe we could tear down Hadrians Wall together or we could build it higher if so preferred??
If you're ever over here (you ought to before they sink the ferries)
give us a ring and I'll put on the kettle and crank up the fridge.-R.

Back