Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Ball Joints

Richard Williams

Enthusiast
I'm currently overhauling the front suspesion of an 86GTL . Some ball joints pop out really easily but others are well and truly stuck. I had to give up on the track rod end joint this afternoon when my ball joint seperator disintergrated!. Anyone got sone tips,,, WD40? large hammer? . Also which is the best place to by replacements, and are most of the bushes available , oh yes and shock absorbers look a bit tatty so I'm really doing things the right way round!

If you are going to replace the track rod end, use the 2 pronged ball joint separator along with a large hammer. I usually remove these by hitting the steering arm with a hammer and the impact frees the joint. You can get all the ball joints and track rod ends from your local motor factor or from Renault. You will have to go to Renault for the wishbone bushes, but these don't normally need replacing. If the shock absorbers aren't knackered then leave them alone, give them a coat of paint!!!

Prices

For information Renault (Whitehouse Tonbridge) quoted me just short of £200.00!!! for two upper and two lower ball joints. How can they justify that sort of price?. I for one will not be taking them up on that and will continue to look, I see Wind Classics will supply at at least 1/2 the price but can anyone help with a UK based supplier.

As I said Richard, go to your local motor factor for the upper and lower joints and the track rod ends or order from Euro Car Parts. They have these in stock and the lot will be £90 plus carriage. The ball joints often come up on ebay as well. If you do a search, there may be some on there right now.

Back