Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

big oil leak

More news. I have found the cause of the high pressure. In the oil pump is a relief valve if the pressure is too high (right Malcolm). It is a plunger with behind a spring. If the pressure is too high, the spring is compressed , the plunger goes backwards and a hole appears that brings the oil back to the entrance of the pump. The plunger was blocked. It was covered with something that looked like dried oil. I have tried to free it with compressed air but no luck. So I drilled a hole in the opposite wall and could free the plunger. In the hole I have put a treat and a bold. Tested it afterwards with compressed air and back in the engine. The pressure was limited to 4 bar. Still high but not unlimited any more. I think I solved the failure of the oil filter gasket.

Now the Nulon. I found some of it in the carter. So it is possible it will disappear in time. I want to have more info about it and will try to contact a representative of Nulon To hear how the process normally goes. If the pump was ok from the start, I would not have noticed the Nulon causing a higher oil pressure. Still thinking about it. All ideas are appreciated.

Regards, Bart

The plunger with a film on it
23viv.jpg

the relief valve the shiny bold is the place where I drilled a hole to unfasten the plunger
fej3q1.jpg

The pressure , now limited;
2zyv0x3.jpg

Last edited:
@ Hrvoje,
Extreme Pressure Anti-Seize Lubricant
Nulon Extreme Pressure Anti-Seize Lubricant is a complex bentone based lubricating paste containing a high percentage of polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE). Nulon L90 provides extremely high film strength and adhesion, protecting against initial start-up damage of machinery even after long periods of lay-up. Nulon L90 provides long-term lubrication of components that are otherwise difficult or impossible to lubricate after initial assembly. Most chemicals, solvents and corrosive agents do not affect Nulon L90. L90 does not dry or harden with age and offers performance over a wide temperature range. L90 protects exposed components against rust during lay-up. L90 permits more even torque pressures and faster breakouts of threads, joints, flanges and gaskets.
Source: http://www.nuloneurope.com/en/products/53-lubricants/129-extreme-pressure-anti-seize-lubricant

Thank you Jdew.....i have look at mighty google when i realized what it is

BVDP....fantastic how you find where problem is.....

Good work Bart and a very helpfull tip from Malcolm :clapping:
I wouldn't expect that a plunger in a relief valve could get stucked, but with R4's almost anything can happen and it will (Murphy's law I pressume :whistle:)
Furthermore I think the Nulon will dissolve in the engine oil and do it's work as an additive.
I'm curious for the long term effect on bearings etcetera, I'm still a year away from completion and doing distances with my GTL.

What I have not mentioned yet: the oil pump was new. It came in with the plunger stucked. I did not check it because I supposed a new part would be ok. I have send an email to the supplier but no reaction jet.
I had contact with the Nulon representative. The slightly higher pressure is normal. It will drop after a few minutes when the engine is running. The Nulon dissolves in the oil.
I have also opened two bearings of the crankshaft and one of the connecting rod; all seemed ok and without any Nulon. So, I will not open the rest of the engine. Time to order some parts to put everything back together.
Regards and thanks for the advice and support, Bart

If you want you can also buy Liquimoly LM48 Montagepaste. It is a sort of Assemblylube.

Only just read this and I had very similar problem years ago on an race spec r5 engine common mod years ago was a small spacer under the pressure relief spring in oil pump this was a recognised thing for ford xflow engine
Trying same thing on Renault meant on startup the pressure was so high it blew the filter off block and same oil leak as described
Obviously dropping sump removing spacer sorted it
This is the very same engine destined for my rodeo project

Back