Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Bleeding Brakes

I bench bled it but no difference. So i thought i better change the front wheel cylinders out but the ones i got were not correctly manufacured for the model I stated. They were impossible to mount. They offset angle was out but about 20 degrees. So i cleaned up the old ones and transferred the pistons seals boots. What i found in the old cylinders was a lot of rubber muck, like a lot and on one side it was in the cavity where the brake hose enters. I suspect these hoses have broken down on the inside and that is where the rubber has come from? I can get one side to gravity bleed now but not the other(front). I will try bleeding with some help tomorrow but will have to order hoses now. The ones on their look really tidy which is why i didn't order with the other earlier orders from the UK.

It may well be that the hose at the side not bleeding has clogged inside.

Actually that side once i rekitted cylinder was gravity bleeding (with pressure bleed) but the other side was not but i still get pressure from both sides. I still had no pedal so i manually adjusted the rear self adjusting set up and got a pedal albeit low but it is predictable and doesn't pump up. Now waiting on replacement brake hoses.

I replaced the front hoses and everything is bleeding fine but without a pedal at all. I think i may have to go back to trying other ways to get air out of the master cylinder as i presume that is still the case. I had tried various things prior but that was with other issues present. Is honestly the most frustrating job of bleeding brakes i have ever come across. My master is after market and does not have the bleed thing on it. Maybe i need to look at a different cylinder?

I recently fitted a NOS master cylinder that I had on the shelf for years -no idea how long since it was made. When I found that I could not get the pedal to go hard I dismantled it to find the seals has completed failed.

I recently fitted a NOS master cylinder that I had on the shelf for years -no idea how long since it was made. When I found that I could not get the pedal to go hard I dismantled it to find the seals has completed failed.
Yeah this one should be ok as it is new aftermarket but i take your point i haven't pulled it down, might be the best starting point.

Back