Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Bonnet catch

desmondo

Enthusiast
Hi

Just wondered if any member has a bonnet catch for sale. I bought one on eBay but it was not the correct type. The one I am looking for is 7700697979 and at this link

http://www.buonoricambi.it/renault-2.html

Also if there is an Italian member that could buy and post to me I would be grateful. The supplying company have said the postage would be 35 Euro.

Desmondo

It seems we are both lucky, mine has a naughty spring: not understanding how to take it off trying to bend it in some way, I think it is easier to change the whole catch... and I was looking for a used one... but this one new is very cheap...
I am italian, so it will be fine for me to order 2 of them and send one to you...
Now I will ask them if the spring is included...
I will pm you before ordering... If somone else is interested, I can even bring them with me to Thenay...

Very strange on-line shop... I ordered 2 bonnet catch, going ahead with the order to see how much will the delivery cost... then sorted out I was only asking for the total cost and availability, now an e-mail informed me the request was sent and I have to phone them within 24-48 hours to have the exact budget... Quite a long way to know a price...
I will let you know.

Thanks again for your help. I was finding it difficult to translate the page. Let me know when you have costs.

The first pic is the old catch original with L shaped mounting holes

The second one is the catch bought on eBay but will not fit as it has inline holes

• PICT1041.jpg
    PICT1041.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 141
  • PICT1043.jpg
    PICT1043.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 141
What's wrong with the old catch? Has the spring popped out of the tab? That's a common thing to happen probably even with new catches - just push it back (careful of fingers - pliers are good).

So there are two kinds of catch... Tomorrow I will have a look to see if mine has the lined holes or not...

That would seem to be the case. Maybe someone could throw some light on the issue as to what model the second catch is off. Maybe it will fit your car as I purchased it from Spanish eBay

The catch you bought is from a pre-81 car.

I don't understand what is wrong with your catch. Just pop the end of the spring back behind the tab and it'll be fine.

• PICT1041.jpg
    PICT1041.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 79
The spring was out of shape and I tried to reshape it but made a bags of it. So the best thing to do is replace with new one. Thanks for the info re pre-81 maybe someone is looking for a new one and would buy it.

The spanish catch has two positions, Mr Haynes call them: 1. closed properly 2. half closed (safety catch). Page209.
Mine is different, only one position as your, and comes from a 1991 car... maybe there is an year-line to mark the difference?

if you loosen the nuts holding the catch to the fire-wall some, and move the catch to its Upper position it will usually work as should again.Tighten nuts good.-It sags after you've slammed the bonnet down umpteen times -R.

Desmondo the bonnet catch on my 4 is the same as the one you bought in error - I'd be happy to buy it from you as mine's playing up.

Back