Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Bonnet Hinge size question

Geoff in the Gully

Getting it together
A question or two for the brains trust if I may.
Trying to fit the bonnet to a '74 4L under restoration and am finding it doesn't line up with the latch. When it's forced into the latch the bonnet bulges between the latch end and where the reinforcing is around the curve at the front. Also very difficult to get fingers in between end of bonnet and car body to lift it up.

The bonnet is new and everything else lines up well - inner / outer guard, body shell etc - and the chassis hasn't been distorted or had anything done that would change dimensions.

The hinges are off a donor car, which here in Melbourne is invariably pre-1968.

Does anyone know if hinge sizes changed at some time - especially in a way that would position the bonnet 1/2 - 1 cm further forward? Perhaps when the front crossmember changed to the 'napoleons hat' shape?

Also, how many different front cross-members were there? We know there were two, but there is some question as to whether there were three. We suspect that our combination of bonnet, hinge, latch (maybe they changed too), and cross-member is giving our 'dimensional challenge'.

Any info to help would be appreciated.

Geoff

Hello
The bonnet hinge on the early cars are 1/2 inch shorter than the second genaration bodies so i would imagine that is where your problem lies,as it is on the piece which bolts on to the x member. I dont think there are any differances in the x member other than the first model ,3 speed ( flat ) and the later curved one which has the longer hinge base.
Regards
Nigel

Thanks Nigel,
1/2 inch sounds just right.
It suggests that the later bonnet is 1/2 inch longer also?
Or is it just the mounting position for the hinge on the bonnet?

Now to find a pair of hinges. . .

No the earlier ones are diffent and the bonnet is longer than the second and third models,so your 74 model latch should fit your bonnet,even if it is the later type.
I think you just need the right hinges
Maybe they are still available from Renault for the last model,its quite amazing what is still about.
Regards
Nigel

Hey Geoff from a fellow Melburnian,
Ignore this if you already know but I found I can order heaps of R4 parts from the spare parts dept at City Automobiles in Richmond provided I can come up with a part number for them and they don't have to go searching.
(Eg recently had to get new rear bumper irons for my '68 model).
They have R4 parts catalogue pages on Dialogys but only 90's models these days I think. If you give them a part number they can confirm if it is still available ex france.

From PR953 (1971-75 cars):
RH upper hinge half: 0608332800
LH upper hinge half: 0608332700

Lower hinge half (looks the same for both sides) 0824507200
Hope this helps
Cheers
Piet

can get 0608332800 new still at about £8 from Renault if that's any good to you??, cant get the other ones though :-( sorry

steve

Back