Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Bonnet opening

Tomcat

Enthusiast
Doing some work on my F4 then shut the bonnet. Seemed to shut normally but later unable to re-open it!!!
Pushing internal button does nothing.
Anyone else ever had this problem?
How does open get the bonnet open again please??????

Thanks

Hi Tom

Technique I have used before - Undo the bonnet hinge securing nuts from underneath the vehicle, you should then be able to partially lift the bonnet from front end, place suitably sized wooden block between bottom of bonnet and front crossmember to create a large enough void. Project torch light in direction of bonnet catch so you can see what you are doing, find a suitably long slim pole, such as a broom handle and point in direction of bonnet catch and try to pop bonnet open from under the bonnet.

Hi Tom

Technique I have used before - Undo the bonnet hinge securing nuts from underneath the vehicle, you should then be able to partially lift the bonnet from front end, place suitably sized wooden block between bottom of bonnet and front crossmember to create a large enough void. Project torch light in direction of bonnet catch so you can see what you are doing, find a suitably long slim pole, such as a broom handle and point in direction of bonnet catch and try to pop bonnet open from under the bonnet.
Hi there
System of release noted.
Will give it a try in next day or so.
Thanks
Tom

Hi Tom, it's a bugger when this happens, and what you will probably find is that the spring on the catch has become unhooked from its usual position and is now hooked over the bonnet pin. After you have undone the hinge bolts try pushing the bonnet towards the windscreen as you get an assistant to lift the bonnet. The repro bonnet catches now have a different design, where the spring is retained in a small hole, and can't move it's position. Good luck, regards Brian.

Hi Tom, it's a bugger when this happens, and what you will probably find is that the spring on the catch has become unhooked from its usual position and is now hooked over the bonnet pin. After you have undone the hinge bolts try pushing the bonnet towards the windscreen as you get an assistant to lift the bonnet. The repro bonnet catches now have a different design, where the spring is retained in a small hole, and can't move it's position. Good luck, regards Brian.
Thanks Brian. Noted.

Hi Tomcat, have you actually just tried to hook your fingers into the top of the bonnet and lift it upwards?

Sounds silly, I know, but if the spring has slipped off its catch, there's nothing holding the bonnet down. It's happened to me 4-5 times in the past and now I know to just lift it upwards.

Hi Tomcat, have you actually just tried to hook your fingers into the top of the bonnet and lift it upwards?

Sounds silly, I know, but if the spring has slipped off its catch, there's nothing holding the bonnet down. It's happened to me 4-5 times in the past and now I know to just lift it upwards.
Will give that a try. Thanks for info.

Got bonnet open following system suggested by "mr reno".
Namely someone pushing on internal button and carefully using a screwdriver to ease up the bonnet. Worked perfectly.

Brian
You mentioned 'repro' bonnet catches. Where can one obtain these please?
Thanks
Regards Tom

Hi Tom, this is my bonnet catch, as you can see the spring is held in place by a hole, is your catch like this? I assumed it's a repro one as I've seen them before where a hook is used to retain the spring. I've checked the Melun Retro and de Franzose catalogues, and Melun appear to do one, but I'm not sure if its the same, and De Franzose only seem to do one for the very early cars. Maybe someone on here can add something to your query. Sorry I cant be more helpful,
Regards Brian. 20190628_130703.jpg

Hi Tom, this is my bonnet catch, as you can see the spring is held in place by a hole, is your catch like this? I assumed it's a repro one as I've seen them before where a hook is used to retain the spring. I've checked the Melun Retro and de Franzose catalogues, and Melun appear to do one, but I'm not sure if its the same, and De Franzose only seem to do one for the very early cars. Maybe someone on here can add something to your query. Sorry I cant be more helpful,
Regards Brian. View attachment 23951
Brian
That is very useful indeed. Thank you.
Paul Cunningham has been in contact with me via messenger with a modification to retain the spring. Will investigate further and report back on here.
Tom

Taken some pictures of both my F4's bonnet catch.
First as it is now before sorting out and the second batch on my other F4 which has not had a problem

I have now clipped the spring where it should be and will 'lock' it into position.

• DSC00921.JPG
    DSC00921.JPG
    795.8 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC00922.JPG
    DSC00922.JPG
    492.9 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC00925.JPG
    DSC00925.JPG
    545.3 KB · Views: 3
Tom, i would be interested to see how you lock it into position, will you just fold the tab around the spring or do you have a more ingenious method in mind

Tom, i would be interested to see how you lock it into position, will you just fold the tab around the spring or do you have a more ingenious method in mind
Pictures mr-reno sent me as a guide.

• 65738346_875343626164368_3340812561409900544_n.jpg
    65738346_875343626164368_3340812561409900544_n.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 65918426_386119162255536_2137651729125081088_n.jpg
    65918426_386119162255536_2137651729125081088_n.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 8
As ever when you want something, no locking wire to hand.
As a temporary fix have used a thick cable tie and this appears to be working well.

I have posted my fix before-I drilled a hole through the catch-Treaded a wire through hole and used a wire-lock to keep it there
wire runs down via innermost part of firewall,there's a drilled hole at the bottom edge where wire goes through-made a loop
threaded up through hole again,secured with another wirelock .Now if spring breaks or jumps off or rust takes it's toll on the
bonnet-catch all I have to do is stick a pole or someth' from either side into the loop underneath and Hey-Ho bonnet makes
that familiar quality-sound telling it is
Open.................-R.

Last edited:
My bonnet is also stuck shut. Tried pushing/pulling as suggested on other posts.
The push rod inside the car is "dead" - whereas it used to be really stiff to push the bonnet open, it's now loose, so probably broken or out of place. All it does now is open/close the heater ventilation grille on the first photo.
I read somewhere about taking the rod out and trying to use a screwdriver through the hole, but it seems to me like the (plastic) shaft for the rod is riveted in - any suggestions?
Is it possible to access the catch mechanism by removing this ventilation grille?
Any other ideas?
Thanks in advance...

IMG_3683.JPG IMG_3686.JPG

Back