Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Boot/tailgate hinge

jjad

Enthusiast
Hello,

we've noticed that the right hand boot/tailgate hinge 'pin' is sticking out a lot. It doesn't seem keen to move back in to the right though. Has anyone else seen this? What do you recommend?

Thanks, Jonathan

• r4_right-hand_boot-hinge1.jpeg
    r4_right-hand_boot-hinge1.jpeg
    96.5 KB · Views: 148
  • r4_right-hand_boot-hinge2.jpeg
    r4_right-hand_boot-hinge2.jpeg
    95.5 KB · Views: 152
I too am interested in an answer to this as one of mine is really worn and rattles alot !

Just a thought have you tried using a G clamp to press it back in ?

Thanks, yes I did try to carefully G clamp it (using a bit of wood to stop it from scratching the paint), but it seems to be pretty stuck. Maybe that's a good thing!

The boot lid does rattle, but I'm not sure where from (it might be the catch).

Jonathan - if it hasn't fallen out then leave it alone! - until you buy some paint. Boot lid rattles are a pain - did you know that you can adjust the two rubber stops at the base of the boot lid. They fit into the recesses on the boot floor and sometimes that can stop the rattles. To get rid of my rattles I also adjusted the catch and striker plate.

Thanks Steve, I'll leave well alone then :)

I adjusted the rubber stops a few years back (to try to make the boot easier to shut - it required too much effort/slamming before that). I'll do some investigating!

Thanks, Jonathan

The hinges on my car were worn causing a rattle so I made oversize pins and bored the hinges to suit, that made 1 less rattle
allan

Back