Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Brake light problem

Tipukka73

I have r4 1973. I have problem with my brakelights those are always on when i have lights on. Brake lights works well when i dont have a lights on.

Its very nice be part of this forum

I suspect you have a faulty earth somewhere and the brake lights are earthing the sidelights. Take the bulbs out of their holders and clean all the terminals, then make sure that the bulb holders are all earthed properly. The electrical current should flow through the bulbs and then to earth, but in your car the power is running through the sidelights then through the brake lights, which should not happen.

Any more help-just ask!

Thank you for the quick response. The situation is the same on both sides. When the headlights are on and i press the brake pedal, the light dims. Tomorrow, I'll have time to investigate the situation in the garage again."

It'll be earthing as above. The rear lights are earthed to the rear wings via their mounting studs. It's not a very reliable method of earthing as the mountings get corroded. I've bolted a new earth wire to the lamp support on mine and connected it to the chassis.

You can experiment to see if that's the problem by removing the light lenses and connecting a temporary earth to see if that works.

Back