Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Brake on mk1 R5

ChrisTheDane

Enthusiast
Hello everybody :)
I have a technical and prehaps stupid question (forgive me i'm a newbee)

I have read that the R5 mk1 TL does'not have power assisted brakes, but the GTL does. Does annybody know if it is possible to fit power assisted brakes to a TL?? I think that in modern trafic power assisted brakes would be realy nice to have.

If it is possible, where do you get the braking system from?

Chris

I cannot comment on the car in question sorry ! but depending if its single or dual circuit it should be possible to fit something like malcolm did to his gordini R4 (See restoration section of this website)

Regards,
Andrew

I think (I had loads of R5s but haven't so much as stuck my head under the bonnet of one in about seven years) that the GTL and beyond had a servo whereas the TL doesn't. Should be straightforward enough if you can find a servo from a GTL / TS / TX or whatever.

Have a look at the classifieds on r5gordini.co.uk, someone there should be able to help.

Thanks for the advice, I will look in to it. I did read Malcoms brake conversion and found it very complex and difficult.

Chris

Just take the brake master cylinder and servo from the GTL. It's much easier.

depending on year the inner wing panel is different as the servo is too large to fit in space on early 72 - 78 cars also pedal support bracket inside car is different to enable servo to mount to the car
years ago i know some one who ordered new shell from renault for a writeoff started refitting components to discover this problem !!!

There are after market servo kits available that can be remotely mounted. It is a popular conversion on ('real') minis.

I spoke to a freind of mine who knows a bit more about the laws and it turns out that it is almost illegal to do the conversion.
We have very strikt rules about changing cars here in Denmark and if you in fact upgraded the braking system, the car would need a new MOT and you would have to pay 180% tax on the price of the car when it was new.
The MOT department states that you would have changed the identity of the car. A much cheeper solution would be to get a car from Sweden og Germany.

Damn stupid Danish laws :(

Back