Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Brake pipes

MartinA

Enthusiast
Hi

My brake pipes are coated steel and I need to replace one. I have copper pipe and the means to flare the connectors. My question is the steel pipes are of a larger diameter than the copper pipe I have - is this a problem? Plus where does one buy the male connectors that fit the flexible brake hoses they are a smaller size than British cars.

That information is on here somewhere, Martin, because I replaced brake pipes at the rear of my R4, mainly around the limiter, and got the correct pipe and connectors as a result of info here. I have an inkling that the male are metric but the female not.

Imperial is 3/8 24tpi, metric is M10 1mm thread.

Generally the front of a GTL is in metric and the rear is imperial. I found my front brake hoses were also imperial. I was one short and couldn't find one locally but there are plenty on eBay and Amazon. Well worth comparing old and new connectors and screwing one in to test it before fitting it to the pipe. The flare can be single (bulbous) or double (where you screw the pointy thing into the single flare and make a cone). Internet has more on this.

The pipe for either is 3/16 brake pipe. The best to use is copper-nickel (otherwise known as cupro or kunifer). Steel is hard to form and copper can fatigue and is easily squished. Again eBay or Amazon.

Back