Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Breather pipes

welcome Merlin
my cat (real one) is called merlin ,and if your in lewes sussex it means there may be more R4s down here than up in yorkshire !!
is your car LHD or very last uk model ?
a small point about breather pipes is that it is essential to make sure that there is a plastic restrictor fiited to the pipe attached between manifold and t piece on rocker cover
leaving it out will result in weak mixture and terrible running problems
other than that most motor factors can supply oil resistant rubber suitable bore pipe
do not use water type pipe as will go soggy after short time
paul

Ours is a late UK one in white.
he pipe came detatched from the manifold because the end had hardened and cracked. At present I have taped it and used ajubilee clip to secure.
Not aware of any restrictor will look at workshop amnual. Tried a piee of new pipe, slightly smaller bore, and the terrible running continued as if the pipe was not fitted. Seems that it is very sensitive to pipe bore / length.
Thanks for your comments.

They are still available from the factory (at least here in France they are) we had to replace ours - but I did manage to squeeze a bit of extra life out of it by turning it around - lasted a few more months. Always tell when it came off, as soon as you got to a junction the engine stalled!

The restrictor is a plastic thing, 1cm long with a 1.5mm hole just pushed into the pipe frpm the rocker cover to the carb. without the restrictor the engine runs very week as you describe. If you cant find the restrictor (because you threw it away with the old pipe) make a new one out of a lump of plastic or aluminium, as long as the hole is 1 to 1.5mm you will be OK
Allan

Back