Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Brush painting: any ideas/tips?

beagle

Enthusiastic amateur
Hi all, sorry I've been off the forum for a while, hope I haven't missed much. I am still working on my never-ending project, a 1992 R4white "savanne".
I am getting round to painting and was originally planning to do a DIY spray job, but now I think I can't warrant buying a compressor, gun, heated garage, space suit etc. So I was thinking of brush painting i.e a "coach finish".

Does any one know what types of paint to use? And what is the general technique? Is this a silly idea? I can't seem to find much on the internet. I imagine professional coach painters undertake a 3 year+ apprenticeship, if any one can condense years of training and practice into a short paragraph I would be very grateful.

Tim

p.s Watch out for ice UK viewers; our postman crashed this morning.

Some years ago we hand painted an old Bedford coach built camper van using tractor enamel and a paint pad on the body work and Dulux gloss and a roller on the roof. We did it all in a weekend - it looked Ok from a distance, nice and shiny, good even colour. It covered over a horrible typical early seventies combination of dark brown and deep creamy yellow, but as we only paid £125 for it I was not too fussy. Why not buy a tin from the local tractor place and try it on the roof - if you don't like the look of it it should be relatively easy to get off!:smile:

We painted our VW bus with good old tractor enamel, its cheap and works great, we did the same and used Dulux gloss rollers for most of the paint.

Should be OK. Do you know anything about "tipping", (paint not waiters). Basically one person lays the paint on with the brush or roller strokes in one direction, while number two carefully takes a fine dry paint brush across the wet paint grain at 90 degrees in the other. Its what the yotties do with very expensive two pot yotty enamel to make their bottoms all nice and shiny and smooth. Appears to be quite effective. I suggest try a little experiment on a flat sheet of hardboard or similar non-porous surface. Also recommend a warm day so the paint will harden faster.

Thanks a lot for the tips guys. I'm going to try using "Tekaloid" enamel with rollers. I just need some good weather....
I'll post the pics when it's done

you can also buy a HVLP sedt up for £80 -150
mines really good i sprayed the bumpers and they came up really well made by Earlex
easy to use just plug it in the mains and no compressor needed

Back