Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Buying a renault 5

psychilles

Hello there,

This is my first time here on the forums. So I'll start with hello!

I'm gilles and I'm from the netherlands. I live in amsterdam and I study film at the gerrit rietveld academy.

I came here to the forum because I'm going to buy a Renault 5L from 1978 coming sunday. And I was wondering if you guys think I'm bonkers. :D

I'll post some pictures, I'll be buying the car for 200 euro's with a brand new exhaust, but without seats;

r51.jpg

r52.jpg

r53.jpg

Of course it's very hard to determine what state the car is in from these pictures. But maybe someone with experience could see if the hole near the rear suspension is something I should really be worried about.

My goal with this car is to get it through APK (dutch annual checkup) and get it on the road for a year. For that the hole needs to be well welded. And of course the suspension below it, should be proper.

Maybe there is someone here who could give me some pointers. If your advice is; throw it away! hahaha, then I also wouldn't be surprised.

Anyways! hello, hope to spend some nice time here. And maybe share a nice story about an hilariously spend car. (spend as in 'lived', that's proper english right?)

:):roll::smile:

Ooh yeah of course. It's running. It didn't start but you can push it and it will. The battery is also in good condition. ooh yeah.. no windscreen wipers :D

Yup CRAZY!! Good luck getting it all sorted out, I hope the rear suspension isn't too rusty!

It sould be a 787cc engine, so it hasn't the hot up kit to rob...
Good luck with your job!

Oooooh, Mk1 R5s. I'd love another R5.

Anyway, I don't think you are mad although I can't honestly remember seeing a 5 with rust so bad in that area - if its bad there then there could well be a lot worse elsewhere so prepare for the worst!

Good luck with it, let us know how you get on!

hahaha, I'm starting to rethink my decision. :D

Sunday I'm going to pick it up and mid-day I will clean it thoroughly.
Then I'm going to probe it with a screwdriver and see who deep the rabbit hole really goes....... :cool:

Back