Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Buying stuff from abroad

edwin

Enthusiast
Hi All. Been approaching several companies around europe to buy R4 bits, and there is no response. I am trying to buy on Leboncoin, and again no response. Tried Pieza's in Spain, no response, and got a Spanish pal to speak to them and the reply was that it is too difficult to deal with customs, the complex paperwork, and the costs. Even though there should be nothing to pay. the paperwork required to show there is nothing to pay is such a lot of work than no one wants to do it. The price they wanted to do it was €300 on top of the €95 purchase of the object, and that did not include VAT etc. Has anyone got a route through this. I need a floor pan. Amongst other things. Tried Vehicles Ancien.

Hi Edwin, this may appear a long and possibly complicated way round but here 1st is a copy paste from a shipping company site:-

Import duties​

Customs duties will not apply to goods entering the UK from any other country whose value is under £135. If the declared value of the customs allowance after Brexit for the goods exceeds this amount, in most cases the receiver will have to pay the duties requested by the customs officers. Customs duties for imported goods from the EU to the UK after Brexit may also apply depending on the country of product origin.
The customs allowance after Brexit and duties will also apply to gifts, whose value is exceeding £135.

• If the gifts you are importing from the EU to the UK after Brexit are ranging from £135-£630 you will pay around 2.5%. Bear in mind that there are some exceptions to this percentage, and you should contact the authorities to ask for the specific product.
  • If the goods are exceeding £630, you will have to pay customs duties according to the product, and the country of product origin. You should contact the authorities to provide you with further information on the specific product you are importing.
So here goes!, if you can arrange and buy items in Europe and get them delivered to a private address in the county of purchase of someone you know, they then theoretically cease to be from a supplier and become privately owned items, then arrange with that person to have them shipped over to the UK as ‘gifts’ from that private individual. Long and complicated but its just a suggestion for thought, it would possibly bypass the paperwork that EU suppliers are now facing dealing with the new post Brexit regulations to UK residents, they are no longer parts to finish a project but presents from friends to help!

seems we need to organize our own buddy-system where for a token fee, members living in suppliers country would order to own address then send on.. System would rely on not being abused and misused or it would crash & burn real fast. Could be organized through these pages to have some transparency and a bit of common sense.
-I've had nothing but good experience with such assistance on here b4. a pity I've only been able to assist fellow member in return a few times ,
so am still in debt for a couple bruiskies next time we meet up..

Seems ther's a lot of uncertainness and sceptisism around how brexit affect sending across borders -plus a little bit of lazyness maybe? -R.

I've imported loads of parts from The Netherlands for the refurbishment of my Daf 33 from and from the Czech Republic (Czechia) for my 1961 Skoda Octavia without any problems whatsoever. The values have varied from about a tenner to over £400 and the important point to remember is that, although the procedure may be more complex, the total amount one pays shouldn't be too different from the original amount one would have paid before we left the E.U. A vendor within the E.U. does NOT add V.A.T. to the invoice, as the goods are being exported outside the E.U.'s customs union. Once the goods arrive in the U.K., H.M.R.C. then add V.A.T. at the appropriate rate to the invoice and collect it, by a variety of methods, but more often than not, via the delivery company (ParcelForce, D.H.L., D.P.D. etc.) Granted, some V.A.T. rates may vary a little, but the overall cost shouldn't be too different.

I hope that helps!

Hi and thanks for all the responses. I will persevere. I can understand that the actual price of the item may be similar or the same as before. Its the lack of a response from the sellers that has concerned me. I will carry on.
Thanks Andy for the floor pan tip off. It is shown at €150. Same item for €95 at Pieza's, and then the vat %age on top, hence my interest in getting it from them.( I had expected the shipping to be similar to shipping from Germany.) Thanks all. Edwin

I'm also waiting for a respone from Vehicule Ancien but will give them a few more days.. As always I'd like suppliers
to send the day b4 the order got in and that I had it here the day b4 that again. .:whistle:

-Anyone got idea as to Where I could get the rubber O-rings (orig.pt #77 00 532 957) it sits in a groove in the gearbox-
casing around outside of that screw-in bearing-adjuster where the drive shaft enters the HA0/HA1 gbox)? needs 2 pc's
measures: inside dia 103mm // Ø3mm thick
Alt:
? BP 354

Also looking for zimmer-rings (2 pc's) sitting inside same bearing-adjuster (orig.pt # 77 03 087 087 )
measures: 36mm x54mm x 7,50mm
Alt:
Corteco 12015283 B
Elring 107.794
Payen NE 775
Of course I'll cover all cost/post plus volunteer to assist will receive a flask of genuine Norw moonshine 96% enough that
you'd hope not to survive the following morning -Guaranteed! -R.

HI Reidalpine!

That big O-ring i bought at agriculture parts shop.
To be hones i bought FI105x3 (have some spare as i always buy more than i really need....just in case.......you never know when you will need it again.:whistle:)
And Corteco 12015283B bought at local car part shop.

Maybe you can try to check locally.....Or would you more like that i check locally and send you parts to Norway :D

I have paypall so payment should not be issue:drunk:

Back