Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Can you please confirm my query please...

mike4gtl

Mad many would insit upon
Hi All,

I am about to start full restoration of another 1971 F4.

I dont wish to keep the 845cc motor as i have an 1108cc motor sitting here in a 1983 GTL. Read on for my purpose as to why....

What i would like to know (or confirmed) is

1. The 1108 will go in the engine bay ok with a juggle of mounts

2. Can/Should i use the original early style gearbox or the 1108cc box?

3. Is there a differance in ratios between the two boxes when in 4th?

4. I also have a 1981 crash damaged Renault 5 (early model) with a good 1300cc engine in, Im guessing the 845 gearbox wont go onto the 1300 engine but will the 1108 GTL gearbox?

I would love to fit the 5 speed box but i dont want to cut out the front cross member so i would settle for the 1300 on a 4 speed box if it is straight forward.

I intend to use it to go from Cambridge to Perpignan several times a year hence my want to sit on motorways comfortably. I know the 1108 is ok for this, i just wanted to know if i could have a wee bit more power easily as i have it available?

I have just come back in a Citroen AX 1.4 Diesel and it struggled up some hills with all of my gear on board, but i did average 71.6 MPG

Many thanks, Michael

Looking forward to seeing the photos of the build!

The 1108 R4 GTL and manual 1300 Mk1 R5 engines are a straight swap with eachother (choke and accelerator cables need to be modified).

The GTL gearbox is the one to use - it has a higher ratio diff than the 850 so much easier to live with.

For changing from 850 to 1108 you'd want to swap at a minimum the engine mounts that bolt to the chassis and go to the GTL radiator position.

The bulkhead at the rear RHS needs a knock with a hammer to clear the GTL engine.

The handbrake will probably foul the fuel pump - could be blanked off and changed for an electric pump or better use the GTL suspension and brakes to get discs and a floor mounted handbrake which would better suit the 1300.

Oh i forgot about the hand break.

I will post some pictures of my projects shortly.

Thanks, michael

Back