Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Can’t turn off engine :D

Hey out there Im new here and Im coming with a problem :D I have I guess electrical problem that I can’t turn off engine by Ignition/turning key does anybody are familiar with this problem?
If i remove this cable where I have fingers (look photo) problem is gone but then I miss turning signals lights.
If I turn off engine on 1 gear and brake oil indicator is on all the time - also when key is removed.

21458279-7B37-431C-957A-10F09825C6B3.jpeg

Looks like a 1979-81 model. Do you have a wiring diagram that you can use to check if the the wires are in the right place? The Haynes manual (1961 to 1986 version) has a wiring diagram you could use.

The positive connection to the coil looks like it should be direct to the ignition switch. First step must be to figure out where it actually goes. You'll need a voltmeter with a resistance mode.

Looks like a 1979-81 model. Do you have a wiring diagram that you can use to check if the the wires are in the right place? The Haynes manual (1961 to 1986 version) has a wiring diagram you could use.

The positive connection to the coil looks like it should be direct to the ignition switch. First step must be to figure out where it actually goes. You'll need a voltmeter with a resistance mode.
Thank you for reply I will have a look at Haynes manual I have one repair manual for Renault 4 but what I don’t understand that problem came out of blue without me integrating or changing thing so I wonder what could it be.

That's curious. The power when the ignition is on for the 1979 to 1981 cars it should be connected to the fuse to the right of where your fingers are in the photo.

What year is your car? And do you have the wiring diagrams to check the connector locations are correct? You will need a voltmeter.

Removing the connector will disable the hazard and indicator lights. I think the coil is being back fed from the fusebox where the ignition on feed has been connected to an always on feed.

Back in the days when I bought it the owner said it was from 1969 and he bought from Germany and registered in Poland in 1982 I can add some pictures later today.

Check ignition coil feed wire, it may had overheated somehow, melting its insulation and others' one around it, resulting in electrical contact with a permanent (+) wire somewhere. Check the wiring loom at the engine bay first, you may have to take off the tape and examine the wires inside.
Ignition feed is normally unfused (there is a separate wire coming directly off ignition switch M terminal), but seeing a 6 fuse fusebox on a 1969 car (no fuses fitted normally) suggests me a modified wiring harness.

Check ignition coil feed wire, it may had overheated somehow, melting its insulation and others' one around it, resulting in electrical contact with a permanent (+) wire somewhere. Check the wiring loom at the engine bay first, you may have to take off the tape and examine the wires inside.
Ignition feed is normally unfused (there is a separate wire coming directly off ignition switch M terminal), but seeing a 6 fuse fusebox on a 1969 car (no fuses fitted normally) suggests me a modified wiring harness.
Thank you I will try my best so far I took some pictures so maybe it’s easier to find things out:

619F0D4A-BD7D-478E-BF4F-3011284A1514.jpeg 04C9CF0B-F635-42B2-B224-146EC11397B4.jpeg AFACA139-6C1E-4FAC-9B29-90874EF88E04.jpeg C83316FD-A8F1-4675-9A0A-37F0F318C3CA.jpeg

Maybe you already know him, but try Steen at Stony Renault - I'm sure he'll be able to help:
Thank you @Andy McGhee I actually dont know him but I ordered new switch from Franzose.de but it seams it wasn’t a switch so I have somewhere short circuit since new switch does the same thing as new one. I guess I need to put time on it and follow each cable and see if i can locate problem :)

I've attached a wiring diagram for a 1979 car with your fusebox. It shows how the fusebox is connected internally. It should be a case of removing any wire in the fusebox that might provide the ignition wire with 12V when the ignition is off until the engine stops running.

You might need to disconnect the hazard switch before the experiment as it looks like it is joined directly to the ignition wire. If removing the hazard switch fixes the problem then it's going to be the indicator wiring. Or the connector to the hazard switch is upsidedown.

• r4-1979-wiring.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
Back