Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Car history supplying dealer etc..

Q plate

Enthusiast
Slow day at work so was just thinking is there anywhere that I can find where my 85 RHD GTL was originally manufactured (I've read they were built in different locations) and where it started out in Life etc?

Regards AL

Hi Q plate. If your car was originally supplied new in 1985, like my GTL, it was built in Wexford in Eire. An assembly line was first set up there in 1978, and shut in 1986 to cope with the high demand for RHD 4s at the time, both in Eire and the UK.

Regards Bry

My quintessential French car is Irish? I’ll have to stop ‘putaining’ when it draws blood and start ‘fecking’……..

Priceless. And Yes I to have owned an Irish R4. It still did not disappoint and smiles we’re guaranteed.
On board or from the ‘side line’s’.

You can always ask for the "fiche d' usine" at Renault Classic. they send you a copy of the data sheet that keep for every car that leaves the factory, and has all the data you need, including its "birth date".

You can always ask for the "fiche d' usine" at Renault Classic. they send you a copy of the data sheet that keep for every car that leaves the factory, and has all the data you need, including its "birth date".
Excellent.. thankyou

I'm not sure if the D.V.L.A. still offer this service, but about 8 years ago I bought a Daf 33 and, after registering the car in my name, contacted the D.V.L.A. for any information they held on it. For (I think!) a fiver they sent me copies of all the documents they held, including the original beige (pre 1974) log book, names and addresses of the previous owners etc. I explained this was purely for my own interest and was not wanted for any commercial reason.

I'm not sure if the D.V.L.A. still offer this service, but about 8 years ago I bought a Daf 33 and, after registering the car in my name, contacted the D.V.L.A. for any information they held on it. For (I think!) a fiver they sent me copies of all the documents they held, including the original beige (pre 1974) log book, names and addresses of the previous owners etc. I explained this was purely for my own interest and was not wanted for any commercial reason.
That's interesting & worth a look be surprised data protection wise these days if still going but you never know. I think the Renault classic fiche service could cost 69 euros these days so might have to wait.. think I've bought all the repair panels I need for now but I still might need a pair of front wings yet...

Hi Q plate. If your car was originally supplied new in 1985, like my GTL, it was built in Wexford in Eire. An assembly line was first set up there in 1978, and shut in 1986 to cope with the high demand for RHD 4s at the time, both in Eire and the UK.

Regards Bry
There is a post on Facebook tonight on the ’Fascinating Wexford History’ page which states that the Wexford assembly line, operated by Smith’s Engineering stopped in 1984, not 1986.

Interesting article, but I've just checked that Wicki site. Production started at a place called Naas in 1962, later it was transfered to Wexford in 1972, and it did indeed close in 1984. I stand corrected. Hope this clears that up.
Kind regards Bry

Back