Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Carb cleaning product

Tomcat

Enthusiast
Hello all
Consensus on which product are best to clean up my Zenith carb please?
Thanks

Probably not a recommended product but something that proved to be a lifesaver to myself ( at the time was travelling through Bordeaux, living out of a van ) had running problems that I diagnosed to the carb, no air line, etc, just hand tools, blocked carb jets, after much headscrating on how I was to clear said blockages, took carb apart and used a can of ‘Clipper’ lighter gas, small brass nozzle comes with a rubber grommet/adaptor on that I found that could /would fit over/in most of the jets/passages in carb an blow high pressure gas through clearing blockages, again roadside repair style also found that I could fit grommet onto ‘Wd40’ plastic extension tube ( aided by cable tie) force onto brass nozzle and use flex to get to the harder to reach jets/passages. Parts get very cold temporarily, but that was a small downside, when reassembled van ran perfect! A can has since become one of my roadgoing toolkit essentials.
Not necessary in a home garage enviroment, but as said, saved a lot of heartache when on the road...

Probably not a recommended product but something that proved to be a lifesaver to myself ( at the time was travelling through Bordeaux, living out of a van ) had running problems that I diagnosed to the carb, no air line, etc, just hand tools, blocked carb jets, after much headscrating on how I was to clear said blockages, took carb apart and used a can of ‘Clipper’ lighter gas, small brass nozzle comes with a rubber grommet/adaptor on that I found that could /would fit over/in most of the jets/passages in carb an blow high pressure gas through clearing blockages, again roadside repair style also found that I could fit grommet onto ‘Wd40’ plastic extension tube ( aided by cable tie) force onto brass nozzle and use flex to get to the harder to reach jets/passages. Parts get very cold temporarily, but that was a small downside, when reassembled van ran perfect! A can has since become one of my roadgoing toolkit essentials.
Not necessary in a home garage enviroment, but as said, saved a lot of heartache when on the road...
Thank you for that information. Interesting

Hello all
Thanks
This method comes with HUGE warnings, which can best be summed up by the phrase "don't try this at home" (but I did, and it worked...)

Acquire an old style pressure cooker, checking first that there is never going to be used for culinary purposes again, as after this you'll never eat from it again! strip the carb as much as you feel competent to, then place the parts in the pressure cooker. add water to cover the parts, followed by a generous load of bicarbonate of soda (baking soda) put the lid on the pressure cooker and cook the mixture. About half an hour should do it, BUT (and this is the dangerous bit.....) the fumes released may contain petrol vapours, so if you are doing this, don't use an extractor fan to shift the smell, just open the kitchen windows. After 30 minutes turn everything off, allow to cool, remove carb bits and rinse throughly under a tap. The muck in the pressure cooker will show what you've moved from the carb (and why it's not advisable to use it again!)

I appreciate this method of carb cleaning is perhaps a "little unsafe" but I did use it to clean a Daf 33 carb (a Solex PICS34) and it worked perfectly afterwards.

Anyone attempting this should be aware of the risks involved and I take no responsibility for any losses caused!!!

This method comes with HUGE warnings, which can best be summed up by the phrase "don't try this at home" (but I did, and it worked...)

Acquire an old style pressure cooker, checking first that there is never going to be used for culinary purposes again, as after this you'll never eat from it again! strip the carb as much as you feel competent to, then place the parts in the pressure cooker. add water to cover the parts, followed by a generous load of bicarbonate of soda (baking soda) put the lid on the pressure cooker and cook the mixture. About half an hour should do it, BUT (and this is the dangerous bit.....) the fumes released may contain petrol vapours, so if you are doing this, don't use an extractor fan to shift the smell, just open the kitchen windows. After 30 minutes turn everything off, allow to cool, remove carb bits and rinse throughly under a tap. The muck in the pressure cooker will show what you've moved from the carb (and why it's not advisable to use it again!)

I appreciate this method of carb cleaning is perhaps a "little unsafe" but I did use it to clean a Daf 33 carb (a Solex PICS34) and it worked perfectly afterwards.

Anyone attempting this should be aware of the risks involved and I take no responsibility for any losses caused!!!
Andrew
Certainly an interesting way of cleaning the carb.
I checked and we do not have a pressure cooker at home. Maybe just as well!!!!

Hello all
Thanks

Hello Tomcat - in general agreeance with boiling it up worked very very well for me see my blog ‘What I am doing’
Entry #231 page 12

Jonathan

I bought ultrasonic cleaner bath for cocking carb.
It need to be taken to small peaces before cocking

Hello Tomcat - in general agreeance with boiling it up worked very very well for me see my blog ‘What I am doing’
Entry #231 page 12

Jonathan
Jonathan
Thank you for the reference.
Did you just use water or was something else added to the 'soup mix'?

Hmm can’t quite remember -May have been a dishwasher tablet

I use Bell-Add carb cleaner sometimes on motorcycles, but on the R4 I just spend the 2x15 min and clean it manually with WD40 and a compressor.

Back