Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

carb for ex copper's R4

nickharman

Enthusiast
Hi I have an R4 lhd which is ex gendarmerie so has no identifying badges (but does have a hole in the roof where the lamp went plus a siren switch on the dash).It's 1989 though.

The carb now wont pass French MOT rules as it is running too rich and all attempts to improve it havent helped. I took a 2nd Solex carb down to it (Assured by R4 expert here in London that it would fit) but it was too big in all ways. The original is a Zenith. Thing is that there are no 2nd hand carbs for it anywhere in france as far as I can tell and a new one was quoted at 700E which is ludicrous. I dont want to lose this car but no MOT means the end for it.

Has anyone got a carb for sale that might get this car another 2 years on the road? (French MOTs run for 2 years btw)

Thanks

Nick

Which engine do you have? Likely suspects for late '80s are the 1126 (950cc ish) and the 1128 (1108cc). Maybe the carb you were given was for the other engine.

Surprised it's not possible to botch the carb past the CT by weakening off the mixture (or by increasing the mixture).

the CT boys are adamant - they take more interest in the emissions than just about anything else it seems

Im getting the carbs serial # to get an exact detail

N

Hi Nick

Where abouts are you in France ?

I had the same problem with one of mine

Look back a few pages in the archives
I brought from England a exhaust emissions tester (Gunsons make)
I got my emissions down from 12% to under 1% .65 I think
But after the Ct I put it back to where the car ran the best

If you are near you are welcome to come round and I will set up your carb for you

I am in Brittany near Dinan
Martin

thanks but I am in London and the charente. The carb is just very very worn, the butterflies are knackered, the jets no good

A refurb is my best option, Ill just have to do that or find a recon. It will not pass test no matter how much you weaken the mixture.

you polluter u:p

Back