Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Carburettor Gurus

edwin

Enthusiast
Hi . We have a Spanish 1988 R4TL, and its done 40k miles. Its in fantastic condition. The engine runs slightly lumpy. It appears to still need a bit of choke when warm and whilst it runs, it never feels truly happy, as does the other R4 845 cc we have which always seems happy as larry. I wonder if there is anyone in the forum to whom I could drive, for them to practice their black arts on the carb, and see if we can identify the problem, and hopefully cure it. I am in the midlands.

Last edited:
You're welcome to trek down to Barnet and I will "give of my best" as regards tuning and timing. I've a professional quality strobe lamp and a CO analyser, so could check both the mixture and timing. However, before venturing this far south, might I suggest a visit to "The Carburettor Exchange", of Leighton Buzzard, Bedfordshire? I can personally vouch as to the quality of their work and I've taken carburettors to them, after which the car's run perfectly! I can suggest some methods of tweaking the carb in situ if you'd prefer, as I'm sure will many other forum members.

Hi Andrew and sorry for the delay in replying.
Thanks very much for that. Will cogitate on that kind offer. I need to drive the car a little more before I embark on that length of journey. I will look at plugs, distributer cap and rotor and points and leads first. If that does not clear it then I will have to embark on the trip. I was hoping that there might be someone in the midlands. Thanks again and I will keep in touch. Edwin

Back