Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

CD/Radio in R4 1972

Jurvelin

Dear Friends,
Can anybody tell me if I can fit the GTL center/radio console into my R4, model 1972?
I guess this center console was designed for newer R4s, like those originating
from 1980´s
Regards to all, Jukka Jurvelin, Kuopio, Finland

Welcome to the forum.

I need to know the same thing so thought I'd investigate. The console fits a GTL OK, but it was designed for that. On a TL (mine is a 1973 L) the outlet for the heater sticks out too far, and the console would need to be trimmed to fit. I think it could be done neatly. Also the lever for the vent flap might need to be altered, or the console trimmed to fit. In the photo I haven't fitted the console to the car very accurately.

The green car is the '73 and the yellow one is '83.

• 73-heater.jpg
    73-heater.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 527
  • 73-with-console.jpg
    73-with-console.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 523
  • 83-console.jpg
    83-console.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 510
Thanks - I understand the possible challenges for fitting. Also, an extra problem to fit the console designed for the right-side driver seating into my car (1972L) with left-side driver seating !?

Well there was also a specific radio console designed for Renault 4s of the 1970s. All you need to do is find one...

You are quite right Richard - I've looked through a 1973 accessories brochure and found a "Radio Console Black Renault 4" for £6.05.

The GTL console is symetrical so should fit RHD and LHD equally badly.

Do you have a picture of the 70's console? Maybe I can do a bit of DIY fibercassing and make my own.

I now have a radio console for the seventies R4s, found on an early GTL. I'll attach a picture soon. It fits below where the heater outlet juts out unlike the more modern stereo console, and the speaker goes below it rather than above it

Does anyone have an old 1980s Radio or Radio Cassette? Even better if coming on the Run!

Also need a speaker for the GTL centre consol!

Thanks

Mark

Pictures of pre-1983 radio console

• R4_K_03.jpg
    R4_K_03.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 338
  • radio.jpg
    radio.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 385
Does anyone have an old 1980s Radio or Radio Cassette? Even better if coming on the Run!

Also need a speaker for the GTL centre consol!

Thanks

Mark

I may have one and will have a look. I think I'm going to Kent in Malcolm's GoR4dini proving he does not blow the engine up on the M11 on his way to me;)

In the Malcoms post there a picture of a yellow radio panel. My got unscrewed, before I even buy or install a radio I want to screw it back that it don't jumps and rattles around.

I found out that it was attached with a screw on both sides, just underneath the air holes. So I've got only one screw(yes I'm gonna buy the second one), but did this screw had a nut or it was just screwed in the plastic?

I went today to my local R. dealer. And after half an our of talk they gave me two U form metal pieces with a hole through.
I put them on the inner plastic an then normally screw it and it hold.

Nice now can I buy me a radio:o

hi -as im getting the gtl ready for my daughter starting to drive - she told me that music was a must - so for speakers i took some out of a old computer monitor i had lying around as they are quite shallow - mounted them with a cpl of blobs of silicone - you wouldnt believe the sound that comes out of that console now - it passed daughters inspection no bother!

iain.

I have the same fixing-trouble with my consolle: I bought it used from France so it has no more the U metal pieces... I will try with those similar (as I can imagine) that come to fix speakers... Alternative ideas?

Andrea scripsit.

I will wait (I have not my r4 - it is out for a repaint - I hope it will be at home for the weekend...) for your photo; I have the consolle apart in my garage and the next project is to give my r4 a decent audio system... I bought 2 vintage amp on ebay (kenwood 70x2 and alpine 30x2), now I have to choice a 2 way kit for the front and, shortly after (as I get some other money) a subwoofer for the rear...
Thanks.

Andrea scripsit.

pics

Hi, as I promised, here are the pictures.

Hope it helps.

• 2011.01.16 - Mounting.JPG
    2011.01.16 - Mounting.JPG
    450.4 KB · Views: 83
  • 2011.01.16 - Screw + U-plate (1).JPG
    2011.01.16 - Screw + U-plate (1).JPG
    300.5 KB · Views: 58
  • 2011.01.16 - Screw + U-plate (2).JPG
    2011.01.16 - Screw + U-plate (2).JPG
    302.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 2011.01.16 - Screw + U-plate (3).JPG
    2011.01.16 - Screw + U-plate (3).JPG
    244.6 KB · Views: 59
Thanks...
It looks some way different from what I would use to replace it but they will (I hope) work quite similar... I will have a try to look from a local renault dealer (I have to ask for a new fuel tank), but I have not much hope for both... Just to say: "I try...".
I think they could be as well substitued with a rectangular piece of metal, previously threaded... Probably more easy to find...

Andrea scripsit.

Back