Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Chassis Number Location

malcolm

& Clementine the Cat
I've just bought a new R4! It's a '68 car Chassis 81323. More about this later.

I can't find the chassis number stamped in the normal location on the crossmember beside the driver's seat. I cleaned the dirt off and the chassis still appears to have the original paint so the number hasn't been ground off.

Does anyone know whether the early cars had the chassis number stamped on the actual chassis?

Congratulations on the new acquisition!

All my early cars (1963 van & 2 x 1964) have the chassis number stamped in the place you describe.

Seems like an odd chassis number you quoted though.....

Ooop - that was the MOT testing station number. The chassis number is 4346956.

I wonder if the chassis was replaced at some point early in the car's life. I'll have a nose around for signs of an accident.

I pushed the car into the sunlight and found the chassis number. Looks like they missed slightly when they were trying to stamp it - it's outboard near the spotwelds, and hardly legible.

Clementine,
Do you mean the same as the diamond plate number, or is this specifically a different, unique number for the underframe? By the way, on the oval plate number the 3 digit country code will be different to later UK cars like GTLs because it changed in the early seventies. What is your diamond plate number? Do you have a first registration date to compare it with? Would like to see some photos, it sounds very similar to my car.

Is this the one you're going to up-engine? Would be interested to know if you'll need to modify the scuttle on the RHS to clear the GTL type engine. How about (he asked cheekily) posted some picks of the scuttle RHS inside engine bay and inside cabin around parcel shelf/handbrake area in comparison to a GTL?

I was looking for the one that's the same as the diamond plate number (just to check the car had a solid identity before I did anything to it).

The diamond plate number is 4346956 and the first registration date was 5th Febuary 1968. The build date has to be before Jan 68 as it's got the 7 degrees castor front suspension.

Here are some photos of the GTL vs L bulkheads. I stuck a 1100 engine in my TL a few years ago. The bulkhead can be modified by a lot of hammering, although I'd probably be inclined to cut and weld these days. The other issue was the fuel pump which fouled the handbrake mechanism. I moved the handbrake mechanism to the other side of the car, but an electric fuel pump would probably be more sensible.

I'll post photos of the rest of the car in a new thread.

The side of the '68 bulkhead looks a lot like a flat panel

68-bulkhead_659.jpg

The GTL bulkhead has a deep depression to clear the back of the engine and the oil filter.

gtl-bulkhead_481.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks very much for the photos. Do you think you could get away with the original bulkhead if you fitted a remote oil filter? Or would it be just too tight?

I think clearance to the back of the engine would also be a bit tight, although the bulkhead ahouldn't need too much hitting with a hammer to clear the engine. The main problem would be the clearance the oil filter needs to unscrew, so a remote filter would probably be a good solution.

What does that part of the scuttle pressing look like from inside the car? I'm sorry to impose, but there is probably only one, maybe two GTLs in Australia. Most cars here are pre '78. I must say I have an ulterior motive, I'm wondering if I can slip a big engine in without having to modify the scuttle, so I can change it back one day if required.
Cheers

The shape of the panels is much more obvious from the inside. Looks like the shaped area on the GTL would fit neatly under the storage compartment of the L.

l-bulge_209.jpg

gtl-bulge_106.jpg

Last edited:
Hi and help, I have a 1986 GTL which was first registered in Jersey. I have read the above post but still can`t find the chassis number does anyone have any other ideas before I remove the seats and get the paint stripper out.

Cheers Simon

Hi and help, I have a 1986 GTL which was first registered in Jersey. I have read the above post but still can`t find the chassis number does anyone have any other ideas before I remove the seats and get the paint stripper out.

Cheers Simon

Hi Simon,
The chassis number should be in plain sight if you open the right hand door.
It is right next to the seat.
I'll post a picture later today.

Hi Harbourseal, thanks for the info. I have looked where you suggest and it`s not in plain sight. If you could post a picture I`ll remove the paint in the area where yours is. Thanks again.

Cheers Simon.

If I may jump in.

Chassis number should be stamped on crossmember where front left seat is.
Where longitudinal one meet transverse one

Picture will tell more
It should be in that red circle
IMG_20150529_183901.jpg

IMG_20150529_183821.jpg

Here is picture of same place but right side. So there is no VIN number.
P1020842.jpg

Hi Petak, to me that is the right side. UK car the drivers side. European car Passenger side.

Beware Simon do not take an angle grinder to the paint you wil probably remove the number.

Only now i notice i have pointed at wrong side.

VIN number should be on right side od the car. No mater if car is LHD or RHD.

Sorry for misguiding you.

Simon use sand paper and gently cross over that place.

Hi Harbourseal & Petak thank you so much for the info and the pictures. The no. was exactly where you said it was but painted over, a little paint stripper and all was revealed.

Cheers Simon.

That must be one of the oldest posts to come back to life
12 years ago

Back