Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Chassis

sdvcatfish

Enthusiast
Hi All.
Thank You for the Best R4 Site.
In the ‘guide’ to purchasing an R4, the following information is detailed;
The Renault 4 has a separate chassis which includes the floor pan. Replacing the chassis is a very time consuming job, and in any case, replacement chassis are no longer available. It's important to ensure any Renault 4 you buy has a good chassis.
Unless I am mistakes there are two companies, certainly Franzose ( spelling!)
that supply replacement under carriages.
Just trying to avoid putting buyers off our lovely machines.
Thanks once again, and Seasons Greetings.
Ian.

That's a good point. That page was written years ago and fitting a new chassis is now easier than repairing the original.

Thanks Malcolm.
Wasn’t trying to Be clever, just browsing like you do.
I have just recently imported a 4f4 from Belgium which I bought during the Summer
Wasn’t cheap after Ferry Crossings, but after years of not Flying With the buzz of a Cleon engine ringing in my ears, I had to grab it.
Thanks once again.
Kind Regards
Ian.

The F4 sounds fun. Do you have to pay import duty these days?

I'm in France at the moment and all of the older cars seem to have disappeared. Makes sense to bring the R4s over before they run out.

Hi Malcolm.
I can give you all the detail at a later date, but in a nutshell.
The 4f4 was purchased from Belgium , and although totally drivable , had been totally rebuilt chassis up by a Guy who had had the vehicle from his Renault dealerships on the French / Belgium border.
I obtained an invoice which I declared to HM customs to calculate VAT ( only 5% because vehicle over 30 years old).
I trailered the 4 going out through Hull Rotterdam. ( Netherland/ Germany/Belgium).
Came back Hook of Holland into Harwich.
I used a shipping agent to generate an import document, you cannot do this yourself, it has to be an Agent who has the appropriate soft wear to be able to communicate with the Customs System.
( Friggin Brexit)
Despite all this I was never stopped at Harwich , by Customs or Border Force even though I was carrying all the paperwork.
The Border Force just smiled and exclaimed ‘ that looks in good Nick mate’.
Tucked up in the Garage now.
Have pumped the Tank dry and bled all remaining fuel from the lines.
After Clementine recommending Aspen none ethanol fuel, I have a local supplier.
So I will put a couple of gallons in for winter.
The Numero d’immatriculationdu vehicle was indeed in France, so I have a few months to prepare for an MOT in the UK on the VIN.
I think the only addition I will need is a retro Rear Fog Lamp.
Age wise it might need side repeaters, I have some diamond genuine ones , but I may just try and get away with that little niggle.
Thanks for your interest.
Kind Regards.
Ian.

Back