Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Chroming GTL bumpers

ggcton

Enthusiast
For those of you who cannot find good chrome bumpers I decided to have my painted but undamaged bumper from the GTL chromed.
It was not cheap at £184 for the front bumper and the two uprights but the standard of triple plate is very high and they look better than my NOS renault rear bumper.

Renault4GTL005.jpg

garysR4bumper1.jpg

The picture does not do the chrome justice but it does give you an idea.

I know it is a bit expensive but painted bumpers are much easier to come by.
Gary

Sounds like a good job. The important bit is the nickel plate underneath (that's what the triple thing means). Nickel is an expensive material so aftermarket bumpers seem to leave it out.

My aftermarket rear bumper will rust in a couple of years (I have an original front which should be OK). Yours should last 10 (more with the occasional wipe over with something that keeps the water out).

Yes I saw some afrer market bumpers at Reims but the quality was so poor you could see they would not get past one winter.

Malcolm you asked who did the chroming.

VEHICLE & GENERAL POLISHERS & PLATERS
UNIT 4A PORTLAND INDUSTRIAL ESTATE
ARLESEY
BEDFORDSHIRE
SG15 6SG

Tel: 01462 835847
Fax: 01462 835079

A Few years ago when i worked for a dealer, i bought in a front bumper for my GTL. It got damaged when it was being delivered but i noticed were the grey paint had come off that underneath the bumper was actualy chrome. I now have a brand new renault bumper still in its protective plastic and was tempted to have a look at this one,

Has anyone else noticed this?

Chrome can be painted over, but it will flake very easily. I doubt Renault painted over old chrome bumpers...Maybe you are looking at the exposed raw steel, which when un-rusted, is rather shiny?

The GTL bumpers I've seen are plated with something under the paint - they don't rust when the paint has been rubbed off. It's not chrome. Possibly some sort of galvanising.

Back