Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

chugging

The only thing that could go wrong in the tank is a blocked filter. If it sounds like its running on 3 cylinders then its probably spark plugs, condenser, timing, points or fuel mixture. Not quite sure what chugging means. Take your plugs out and make sure they're not black with carbon. That would be a good start.

thanks
the spark plugs were black but cleaned them but chugging still condenser, timing, points and fuel mixture are all new so i don t know thanks i will check tank
THANKS

hi
thanks for all the help there an oil leak somewhere near the tank don t know where it is coming from could you give me advice on how to find it
THANKS

Black plugs suggest an excessively rich mixture or the fuel not burning properly. I'm STILL suspecting a failed condenser, incorrectly set timing or too rich a mixture. I'd check these BEFORE rummaging in the tank!

Yes, and just because you replaced something like the condenser it doesn't mean that it's working correctly. I had one fail within around a year once, with a resulting lack of performance (it barely made it up hills!).

An oil leak close to the tank may be either brake fluid oil or gazoline, not anything else.

Last edited:
HI
thanks for all that advise . Today we drove it and it was pulling how do you adjust the points on a renault 4 4l 1978 billincourt because i can t find any videos on how to do it if you could show me the n would be helpful and i going to put a video of what the engine sounds like

20210322_165839[1].jpg

HI
thanks for all that advise . Today we drove it and it was pulling how do you adjust the points on a renault 4 4l 1978 billincourt because i can t find any videos on how to do it if you could show me the n would be helpful and i going to put a video of what the engine sounds like

there oil all over the oil tank and its losing oil
If the sump is covered with oil, wipe it clean and then see if you can spot where the oil is coming from. If you're lucky, it could be something simple like a leak from the sump plug. If your car has an oil filter, check to see if the oil is leaking from its seal with the engine. If the filter has been changed recently, it might not have been fitted/tightened correctly - they're more difficult to get to on Billancourt engines. 20210322_165435.jpg20190916_114718 (3)_LI.jpg
If you've taken the rocker cover off the top of the engine recently, have a look for leaks there.
Some photos would be really helpful.
Good luck!

For timing, etc:

REGLAGE ALLUMAGE 4L de A à Z (2/3 comment régler son moteur comme une horloge) - YouTube

If the sump is covered with oil, wipe it clean and then see if you can spot where the oil is coming from. If you're lucky, it could be something simple like a leak from the sump plug. If your car has an oil filter, check to see if the oil is leaking from its seal with the engine. If the filter has been changed recently, it might not have been fitted/tightened correctly - they're more difficult to get to on Billancourt engines. View attachment 28110View attachment 28111
If you've taken the rocker cover off the top of the engine recently, have a look for leaks there.
Some photos would be really helpful.
Good luck!
I'm sorry, I read tank and I supposed it was the fuel one.
Now I got it.
Shame on me.

If the oil is leaking out of the "screw" in the oil tank, ( just like in Andy's photo,) you don't need a new screw.
Just the washer, which is copper.

You can see it only when you take the screw out. I have no idea what the size is, maybe someone here can tell you that.
I bought my washer from LeClerc supermarket in the Auto section. You're in France, so you must know of LeClerc? But any auto place will stock them.

Just checked, it looks like 18,3 inside diameter and 24mm outside diameter and 2mm thick.

mojobaby is correct. There is a 'sealing washer' made of copper.

According to the parts manual there are two sizes: 16mm or 18mm inner diameter.

For our GTL, the inner diameter is 16mm. The washer is about 22mm (outer diameter) and 2mm thick. The Renault part number is 77 03 062 062

Of course, you have to take out the sump plug (screw) with a 10mm square-ended tool and the engine oil will pour out. You could either carry out a complete oil change, or try to plug it while replacing the washer.

1617093363949.png

Back