Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Cleaning out Cooling System Overflow Bottle.

Tomcat

Enthusiast
Advice on best product to use to clean out the cooling system overflow bottle please.
Thanks.

Bicarbonate of soda and a bottle brush usually does the trick. Afterwards run it through the dishwasher (respective partners/wives/girlfriends etc. should NOT be informed of this part of the operation....)

Bicarbonate of soda and a bottle brush usually does the trick. Afterwards run it through the dishwasher (respective partners/wives/girlfriends etc. should NOT be informed of this part of the operation....)
Thank you for the comment. Appreciated.

Sorry for a stupid question but when topping up the bottle should I use a specific antifreeze or will any one do ? Also is a 50/50 ratio antifreeze/water acceptable for the South of England ? Apologies if I have said anything foolish here by the way, I am something of a novice !

(Quote) "There's no such thing as a stupid question" from my C.O. in the Army MANY years ago.....

If you're adding to a car & you're topping it up, buy some blue anti-freeze & some de-ionised (distilled) water & mix them 50/50, then use this to top up the system. You'll know that you're adding the correct concentration, thus improving on whatever is already in the car. If you're completely flushing the system you can flush it with ordinary tap water, tighten the drain taps, fill it with tap water and run the engine for about 15 minutes & drain it again. This will shift any crud and will give you an idea as to how clogged up the system is. In extremis a mixture of 10% bicabonate of soda solution can be added to the water and the engine run again for 15 minutes, before thoroughly flushing the system. Once the system is clear of debris, mix up the 50/50 solution of anti-freeze and de-ionised water and top up the system. Start the engine & let it idle-no faster-and open the bleed valves until liquid runs freely. A good trick is to hang the expansion tank high up on the bonnet, using a wire coat hanger, assist the air bleeding.

There's much more in this vein but that's enough for the moment!

Good luck!

Thank you so much Andrew for the response and the reassurance re stupidity !!
Best wishes
Charles

Back