Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Clementine has a brand new Renault

malcolm

& Clementine the Cat
Ermintrude the Renault 4 has returned to Bedford!
See Ermintrude restoration and Ermintrude in Monte-carlo for anyone new to the forum.

:D:DThanks Bluebell :D:D

I've been driving around in Yvette the tatty Renault for the last year, with my plan being to have finished the Gordini project long before now. But Yvette MOT time is coming up again now, and I was surprised enough that she passed last year.

I'd forgotten what a good Renault 4 is like to drive. On the motorway Ermintrude sat so straight and stable I hardly had to hold on to the steering wheel. She was so quiet I would have been able to listen to the Radio (had it been able to receive anything other than Radio 2).

Another revelation coming off the motorway and onto the A roads. This one goes around corners in a predictable manner. It's like a modern car but with more direct steering. The full set of newish Renault sourced dampers actually make a the car handle. Easily 10mph up on cornering speeds that would have turned me white in the other Renault, but no drama at all in Ermintrude.

Steve - you need to drive this one for inspiration.

Bluebell - do start a thread with photos of your new van. It's another good one.

I look forward to having a drive, Malcolm. So, does that mean you were putting my life at risk by allowing me to drive Yvette !! >)

Yvette is perfectly safe. Though I probably wouldn't pass her on without first checking if the chassis is straight and fitting new dampers. :roll:

I too can vouch for the loveliness of Ermintrude! I was fortunate to be allowed a drive at the weekend... such light steering and a lovely smooth ride that showed up how bouncy Reg is! Dampers are now on the shopping list.... Thanks Clementine

She doesn't start any more though :eek:. I recall the starter failing a year or two ago and being changed for another not so good one in a hurry. Another change planned this weekend.

I put together some thoughts on buying dampers the other day - http://www.renault4.co.uk/tech-dampers.htm

Good to see you at the weekend.

shocking news

sounds like i better dig out all the boxes of genuine shockers i have got buried

prices on ebay may suddenly rise !!

found this lonely one the other day ,will let you know what else turns up :)
paul

• mini-mini-renault 013.jpg
    mini-mini-renault 013.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 647
Way of recognising proper dampers?

Is there any brand name or proper part number or any other method of identifying the good dampers that Renault supplied?

I want to buy dampers but avoid all of the bad ones.

Unfortunately Renault seem to be selling the good rear dampers and the rubbish rear dampers under the same part number. Bluebell was sold one of each and had to return one of them! (Did you get any photos Bluebell?)

Once you get the rear dampers in your hands the proper ones feel like they have a spring inside. Compress them and they extend themselves again. Rubbish ones just stay where they are after you compress them.

PS - Ermintrude starts again! Problem was the HT lead from the coil :D

The rear shocks (which we got from Renault) that I fitted to Blanche for Bluebell, were help in the compressed state with a polypropylene strap - they also had oversized washers at the rear mounting end, which rubbed on the suspension mount and caused awful squeaking. I ended up using the bushes and washers from the old shocks.

Blanche has since been to Burgundy and back from Leeds with no ill effects.

Glad to hear that Ermintrude is better and that it was nothing serious :D

I was out in Robert's car this evening - he fitted a pair of Renault sourced cheap and nasty Sachs Boge dampers to the front of his car last year. It's too soft. Uuuurggh. My hopes are now resting on DeCarbon, though it's a big shame that Renault have let us down like this.

Anyone know where you can buy DeCarbon dampers? Planning to move all the where do I find what posts to a new section as bits are starting to get challenging.

R4s had two makes of shocks fitted as standard: DeCarbon (gas pressurised, usually fitted to poor road R4s) and Allinquant (usually associated with the normal road R4s) The "good dampers" as you describe them are gas pressurised, therfore deCarbon. The problem is that De Carbon does not exist as a brand name anymore. Last year I replaced front shocks on my '75 and when I asked for deCarbon, the person in the parts shop gave me a pair exactly identical to deCarbon, but labelled Delphi (possibly Delphi got the rights of manufacturing deCarbon). They are also made in Poland, if it tells something. Their performance is at the time excellent (they have covered about 10.000 kms).
As I had posted beffore, I had good experience with Monroe shocks (ask for the gas pressurised ones). My grey '71 was fitted with Kayabas from the previous owner, also gas pressurised and they were a pleasant surprise for me, as I didn't have good experience with this brand on other cars.
I have never tried Boge, nor do I want to, as I have very bad results from 2CVs.
Allinquant do make the car feel softer especially with the normal road setup but they are not bad shock absorbers. I removed one rear pair of them from a R4 last week and they were feeling like new, although they must had been fitted some 10 years ago.

Brilliant info Angel. DeCarbon are now a Delphi brand, but I wasn't aware they were now sold as Delphi. That'll make them easier to find.

I've googled - A few tyre suppliers in the UK list Delphi DeCarbon shock absorbers. Success! Some choices: DE CARBON HYDRO, DE CARBON COMFORT GAS, and DE CARBON PERFORMANCE GAS. Hydro will be non-gas pressurised. I guess comfort is standard and performance is slightly stiffer.

There's a common theme - gas pressurised dampers are the ones to ask for - not just for the the rear.

Would you mind if I copied your post onto the page I referenced about dampers?

Of course there will be no problem!
You reminded me something else: some years ago when original deCarbons were still available, there was the choice of uprated front shocks (as there are the same as in R5). Didn't had the chance to try them, maybe are the same as the "Performance" series?
Also those named "Hydro" make me wonder, because deCarbon traditionally manufactured only gas pressure shocks.

Back