Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Clementine's Cafe Bermuda Triangle

claude van rouge

Enthusiast
There seems to be a lot of threads recently (mostly in Clementine's Cafe) where the first poster has edited his post so none of the following replies make any sense. Is there a way of time limiting edits so that spelling mistakes can be corrected but whole posts can't be changed after the post has been replied to?

If it was only one or two occasional posts this wouldn't be a problem but it now seems to be a regular thing with one particular poster.

Having occasionally caught the posts before they've been heavily edited some of them are quite entertaining and I'm not quite sure why they were then edited.

Last edited:
We've got a time limit for editing posts on the welding forum of 2 hours. I've added the same in here.

Oh that's not fair, I always liked to confuse people with random thread changes! :)

Boo hoo Malcolm..

How on earth can you make this extraordinary decision to restrict the time your Poster's have to be able to edit their masterpieces on the call of one 'confused' man in France called Claude?

The facility to edit FOREVER is a non negotiable right of all Writers - whatever their race creed or colour.

Just imagine some of the poor old chaps that penned some of the books in the Bible - what would they have done if King Tutankhamun had decreed to Moses that he couldn't add any Commandments to his original list of 4 or take a 9 out of their ultimate list of 19 - goodness only knows how we would get on if Commandment 16 hadnt gone - Though shall not lie in bed on Sunday mornings?

And what about Commandment 13 - Though shall not have huge amounts of fun in life? Its lucky that one went!

Personally I have never seen any edited posts in the 'serious' section of your esteemed website where the original post might say the 'Jack sits in the spare wheel under the back of the car' and then he realises that he is thinking of his Hillman Minx jack position so edits the post to say 'Sorry, it actually in the engine compartment on the left hand side as you look at the car from the front'

So on behalf on all your contributors (except Claude of course) I insist you reinstate the full editing facility immediately.

For the record and just to encourage participation, I would like to point out that I know for a fact that the person Claude is referring to, edits his posts as a protest against non participation by others on this forum.

Look at the last 5 Clementine Cafe posts for interest :

138 views - 4 replies
202 views - 2 replies
214 views - 2 replies
275 views - 2 replies

And finally Michaels' Happy Christmas one :

488 views and only 10 replies

Now I know that you will tell me that 'Participation' is not obligatory on this site and rightly so. But the right for anyone to edit anything at any time is sacrosanct (what ever that means?)

And now a final bit of advice to all your readers: The secret to a long and happy life is energy conservation - never stand up when you can sit and never sit down if you can lie down.

I rest my case and will now disappear up a R4 hydraulic clutch pipe!!

• CIMG5757.jpg
    CIMG5757.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 128
In Ian's defence

Hiya

Personally, I like Ian's off the wall (sometimes) comments and his (occasional) plagerism and his enthusiasm (always).

This forum, like our cherished Fours, is alive. Anything that can possibly be known about this wonderful car has either appeared here, on the web or in Derek's Garage. So when some banter appears, or Ian tries to get a thread on each forum simultaneously just to tease Malcolm, why worry? Smile!

You are judged by the company you keep. I have chosen not to join a political party, action group or the nerdy types at the end of Clapham Junction station taking down train numbers! I own a Renault 4 because it was my first and best car. My car has introduced me to other like minded people here and abroad and it's my gesture to all the changes that I dislike over the last 30 years. It remains loyal, polite and well mannered. And simple, pre chip. It is my ststement and although fashionable to knock our friends across La Manche, I adore their country and can experience it at first hand when I put my cheese, bread, wine and croixants in the back seat and drive back from Waitrose on Saturday mornings.

Go anywhere in France and you will find huddles in animated conversation. That's how I see our forum. Regurgitating, new and above all interesting. And fun. BUT , when someone comments, and opens the floodgates to criticism and , rarely, rudeness, the forum suffers and I hope our Moderators would take a more active role. This might encourage more posts from the silent majority.

The concern and compassion the team showed after my op last year meant a lot to me and I feel amongst friends here.

So how do you feel? Please just participate. A line or two. Please be controversial if you wish. Above all let's acknowledge this brilliant forum and keep it as alive as our Fours!

Happy Saturday!

Hello Mark,

As one half of the 'mods' (minus Parka and Lambretta) :wink: I tend to concentrate on editing any bad language, spam and inappropriate comments that border on rudeness. I'm sure that Malcolm does the same - it all depends on who gets there first.

I think this forum is very friendly and it very rare to see nastiness or sarcasm. Because it's a friendly forum I feel that if one member has an issue with another there is the PM service (or if they know one another) email or phone so they can discuss their differences rather than broadcast the discussion to rest of the world. If the issue can't be resolved then I feel that it then ought to be bought to the attention of a moderator. We are all adults and should be able to conduct ourselves apppropriately.

I used to be an active member of a motorbike forum for German bikes but ended up leaving (as did others) due to the nastiness of the forum moderator! He was something else, believe me!

I'm currently an active member of a techie forum - mainly for computer issues, and since Christmas for some reason, there has been an increase in saracastic and inappropriate remarks and I cringe when reading them. I have been trying to find a correlation betweeen the time of the year and this unpleasant behaviour and can only put it down to the fact that people have still got hangovers from Christmas, that David Cameron's bunch are finally getting to us all, or our toys have fallen out of the pram.

As our forum is very small by comparison, l urge any forum members who have fallen with each other to kiss and make up and lets keep OUR forum untainted by the unpleasantness and uncertainty that surrounds us all.

Steve

Well said Steve - stop bickering folks!

I removed the thread views from the MIG Welding forum as they are misleading and caused similar complaints over there.

We are a small forum and only 115 unique members have visited over the last month. Most won't be on here every day, so it's not them that are viewing these threads so many times.

Who is it then? The number will include a small number of non-members who can't post on the forum. Mostly it will be a count of automated robots such as search engine spiders. They can't reply either.

A small number will be nuisance bots such as those that check the web for plagiarism and send letters to forum administrators demanding money and threatening court action if forum members reproduce other people's content without permission. I mention this as court action would cause the forum to close, and I've asked several times before that copyrighted material is not posted on the forum.

So 5 replies from maybe 10 members is pretty good! Don't be disappointed with that, you are doing well. You might get even more replies if people don't think the threads are going to be deleted the next day.

Do excuse me now - I'm about to buy another Renault 5.

Update - Got it! Also I'd not realised others couldn't see records of deleted posts. You can now. And I've got rid of the threads view thing because it's silly.

Last edited:
I used to be an active member of a motorbike forum for German bikes but ended up leaving (as did others) due to the nastiness of the forum moderator! He was something else, believe me!
Steve

German bikes..bit of a clue don't you say?

Another R5? i am thinking i can to my dad about buying that rolling chassis thats just popped up for sell

Last edited by a moderator:
As I can see Facebook is pushing a lot of forums down. But this forum is pretty god visited. The members here are replying quick if you have a problem or two. It's the best thing on the web if you're driving an R4.

Last edited:
"It's the best thing on the web if you're driving an R4."

I think so too. So well done to Malcolm and Steve for moderating it and to everyone for all their contributions. :hug:

There's no doubt about that!
I've been part of a few internet communities and this is one of the nicest. Also, surprisingly active considering there aren't many of us. Thanks to the 'mods' and everyone else :hug:

This active part, I try very hard! :)

Back