Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

clutch problem - please help?

rennart

Enthusiast
hi, when I change gear, the gearstick is sometimes almost impossible to move into position. sometimes it works fine and smoothly. Is this a sign of a clutch about to give out? I have sprayed some WD40 on the extension of the stick under the bonnet, but not sure if this has helped.

Without the engine running and with the car stationary, is the linkage free? Now with the engine running and the clutch depressed, can you locate all the gears?
I have never known an intermittent problem such as this, but if the linkage is free and loose then there is a possibility that the clutch centre plate is sticking on the splines due to a thin film of rust. There is always the the usual problem of the clutch arm partially seizing in the gearbox and this has been covered in other threads.

clutch problem?

thanks Steve for your reply.
The gearstick does seem to engage quite smoothly when the engine is not running. The problem just happens once the engine is running.

At what point does the clutch engage during the pedal travel? Right at the bottom might indicate badly adjusted or worn clutch. Somewhere in the middle would means the clutch should be worrking OK.

My gear lever is poor too - reverse is sometimes tricky to get into, though I suspect that's the gearbox as the car has covered 160,000 miles.

Following on from what Clementine said and assuming that the cable is correctly adjusted, it appears the linkage and the gearbox are ok so maybe the clutch pressure plate diaphragm is getting weak through age by not letting the centre plate have enough clearance. This means a complete new clutch is needed (including the release bearing)!! Whether you do it yourself or get somebody else to do it, ensure that all dust and muck are cleaned away from the flywheel and the suface of the flywheel is 'deglazed' by rubbing it with sandpaper and then wiping it with white spirit. Using a small wire brush, thoroughly clean all the splines on the spigot shaft and apply a very thin film of copper grease to the splines. Ensure that the clutch actuating mechanism in the gearbox is free and try to get as much oil or grease into the shaft as possible by working it in and out as this mechanism can partially seize in the housing.

Following on from what I said as well - I've noticed on my car that the rubber bush that supports the gear change shaft has popped out of that crossmember near the radiator (again). That'll be the reason for my poor gear change.

Back