Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Clutch Problem

Matt Jarvis

Enthusiast
Hi Everyone
My beautiful F6 van won't go into gear. Started it up this morning, clutch in, put it in reverse and it stalled. It goes into all gears fine with the engine off but not when running(except reverse which stalls it). I've started it in first and it runs along but depressing clutch has no effect. The clutch arm moves when clutch is depressed so cable seems ok. But I don't know what kind of movement to expect in this arm. I got underneath and the lower locking nut on the adjuster was loose so I think that maybe the adjuster position has moved. Attached are photos with the clutch down and up. Can anyone advise whether this is the expected kind of movement? I'm hoping the clutch hasn't gone and I just need to adjust it. The pics show clutch fully down and at rest.
As you may have gathered my mechanic skills are limited but I'm learning. I managed to change a snapped fan belt last week. Next job is to order the Haynes manual.
Matt

• down tn.jpg
    down tn.jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 193
  • open tnj.jpg
    open tnj.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 195
If the clutch was ok yesterday then it's possible that some moisture has enterted the clutch assembly and the centre plate is frozen to the flywheel. Did it freeze in your area last night?? That may be the answer.

Yes, we had an exceptional frost. I'd never have thought that could be the problem! I will leave the engine running tomorrow and have another go.
Thanks Steve

R4 clutches are prone to seizing when not used frequently. Quick and dirty solution - put into gear, depress clutch, start engine. Quite often this frees it. Tapping the clutch assembly with a hammer might help. More drastic solution, put in gear, start engine, drive a few yards, depress clutch, jam on brakes. Needs space to carry out! Both these remedies have worked for me in the past.

Clutch Free

I just freed the clutch and went for a good drive. Starting in gear didn't work at the start so I left it running for half hour and eventually freed.
I think I will take it for a weekly run instead of just using it on special occasions. Thanks for the help.
Matt

Back