Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Clutch thrust bearing Spring

Tripyrenees

Enthusiast
Hi
My thrust bearing spring snapped (while gearbox was out of car). I need to replace it but trying to get the thrust bearing lever arm off the gearbox to slide a new spring on is very difficult indeed.

There is a special tool required and I tried manufacturing one but the softness of the bolt I was using just snapped when any pressure was applied.

So has anyone down this job?
Is the tool available anywhere?
Where can I get a new spring?

Cheers
ianP1040756.jpegP1040757.jpeg

Anyone - someone must have done this job before.

I have found a tool on ebay but it had finished - off to the Renault dealer today for a miracle.

Can't source the spring though. Wondering whether or not I could make a sleeve that would join the two pieces together and whether this would be enough for a fix. It is not providing strength or spring, only positioning of the two sides. Do you think this would work??

Went to the Renault dealership plus a couple of local Renault garages and none had the tool. Or in fact the spring.

So I made a 3cm metal sleeve out of some 4mm bar and drilled out a 3mm centre hole. Slid that over one side of the broken spring and then pushed the other side in. Lined it all up and then spot welded each end.

I have done some stress testing and all seems good - so this saves dismantling the complete mech and also trying to source a spring.

Hate bodge jobs but I think I have engineered a decent enough fix.

Here is what it looks like. Just in case for the future the tool is a FACOM T174 EMB384 UN ARRACHE GOUPILLE FOURCHETTE EMBRAYAGE

P1040758.jpg

Congratulations, That looks like a well thought out solution to your problem, As you say there is probably very little sidewards stress, so I'm sure it would work. Only time will tell!
The spring must have been quite brittle to break in the first place. Probably quite simple for a spring manufacturer to make up

Not that brittle - I actually got my slipper caught on the clutch lever as I walked past the gearbox - I went flying and pull the lever pretty hard. I didn't notice the break until a few days later. Very bruised foot too :(

Back