Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

cold start

kirksr4

Hi all, Ive just bought a 1991 R4 where i live in Spain. It runs great but first start in the morning can be difficult. Once it does turn over it smokes abit, then after about 10 mins of idle on choke it runs fine. I dont know a whole lot about engines, i use Shell 98 octane fuel. Should i use an additive of some kind? Or maybe i have some more serious problems? Any info would be great. Thankyou!

Hello, and welcome to the forum!

There is usually an inlet hose from the air filter which can be set to a 'summer' or 'winter' setting. In the winter setting, the hose draws in warmer air from just above the exhaust pipe, which is hot. In the summer (when the air is warm enough anyway), the hose is directed away from the exhaust pipe.

Making sure that your air filter is drawing in warm air helps the car to run in the winter.

Generally, it is not necessary to use fuel additives (I only use them when doing a lot of long-distance trips, where the engine gets hot for a long period).

Depending on your car, you may find that you can put the choke 'half in', as soon as it starts and then leave it running on half choke for about 5 mins.

I'm sure other members of this forum will be able to help with more technical answers!

Back