Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Comments and suggestions please

malcolm

& Clementine the Cat
Do let me know if you have any other ideas to improve the forum or the gallery. Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

This is a new and much modified forum. Please let me know if you find anything difficult or unintuitive - I'm working to create a usable version of the phpBB forum and would really appreciate your suggestions. Mods on the forum are complete - I'd like to think it is a stable 1.0 version.

I'm aware of the unintuitive navigation in the gallery. It's worse than that as standard - I've improved it a bit. I'm hoping it will seem more sensible when there are more albums on there. otherwise I'll put in some more effort. Let me know if anything else crops up on the Gallery.

Can't see stuff at top of pages, using Safari

Hi!

My first post here, great idea with a forum dedicated to R4 :)

Anyway, i'm using Safari on OS X, and i have trouble seeing the stuff at the top of pages. The tabbed bar sits on top of the other stuff.

Hmm, there's no way to upload files right? I made 2 screen dumps of the problem. I can mail you them if you'd like.

Thanks for the tip off - I tested the site with a few browsers but not Safari. I guess it's having trouble with my CSS stylesheets - the stuff at the top of the page is actually at the bottom of the code so that the forum text loads first. I'll download Safari and try and figure out a new compromise.

EDIT> The forum should work reasonably in Safari now. I used a Safari emulator as I'm working on an evil Microsoft PC.

Olly

renault4 said:
Do let me know if you have any other ideas to improve the forum or the gallery. Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

This is a new and much modified forum. Please let me know if you find anything difficult or unintuitive - I'm working to create a usable version of the phpBB forum and would really appreciate your suggestions. Mods on the forum are complete - I'd like to think it is a stable 1.0 version.

I'm aware of the unintuitive navigation in the gallery. It's worse than that as standard - I've improved it a bit. I'm hoping it will seem more sensible when there are more albums on there. otherwise I'll put in some more effort. Let me know if anything else crops up on the Gallery.

Having great problems in posting a photo,any tips please Olly

It should be possible to posts a photo on the forum by clicking on "manage attachments" below the area where you write the post, browsing for the photo then clicking upload. It has to be less than 500kB - any more than that and the photo will need to be resized.

The (seperate) gallery is broken at the moment - it relied on the old forum to see who was allowed to load photos. I'll be sorting that out soon.

That will probably be it. To be honest it was a big mistake to use the "Coppermine" software in the gallery in the first place. I hate that software very much for it's poor usability. If I can't figure out how to upload photos then others might struggle too.

Soon I might transfer all of the photographs to a new gallery software. Probably Gallery itself. I'm working on this.

reccomended garages

although many members here are motor enthusiasts unfortunately we cant all do the jobs that need doing to our cars ourselves..therefore we need to go forth into the world and use a garage.

now as in most things in life there are good and bad garages...i would suggest we cant name the bad ones for legal reasons but perhaps we could build a member database of garages that our members have used and would reccommend.

for my twopenneth worth i would try these

WESTS OF BEDFORD
87 HIGH STREET
CLAPHAM
BEDFORD
MK41 6AQ
Tel 01234 354257
Fax 01234 212815

Opening Hours
Mon-Fri 8.30 am to 6 pm
Saturday 8.30 to 5.30 pm
Sunday 12 noon to 4 pm

Against :-

Standard Renault Price Structure
Lack of adequate off road parking

For : -

Great Staff + Receptionists ( Friendly, Informed, Firm but Fair)
Excellent knowledge and quick correct problem solving whilst keeping costs down and understanding the customer's needs..
Quick and efficient repairs.
Honest answers.

Great chip butty cafe along Clapham high street, paper shop etc if you get bored waiting.

thanks to stuart for this reccomendation

I've described the parts department from that garage as "aggressively unhelpful" in the past. I use Whitehouse in Tumbridge Wells for my parts these days.

On the other hand I've had some more recent dealings with other people at Wests and found them very helpful.

I like the idea, but I don't think there are enough people here to give a fair impression of the garages. One person could catch a good garage on a bad day and never go there again, or another gould get lucky with a rubbish garage and give them rave reviews.

The delivery driver needs to take into account that some of us are not happy with the servicing department who can be described as being consevative with the truth.

It is amazing how some garages will swap parts from one car to another to cover their backsides and get the other punter to pay.. not mentioning any particular garage here................:mad:
although many members here are motor enthusiasts unfortunately we cant all do the jobs that need doing to our cars ourselves..therefore we need to go forth into the world and use a garage.

now as in most things in life there are good and bad garages...i would suggest we cant name the bad ones for legal reasons but perhaps we could build a member database of garages that our members have used and would reccommend.

for my twopenneth worth i would try these

WESTS OF BEDFORD
87 HIGH STREET
CLAPHAM
BEDFORD
MK41 6AQ
Tel 01234 354257
Fax 01234 212815

Opening Hours
Mon-Fri 8.30 am to 6 pm
Saturday 8.30 to 5.30 pm
Sunday 12 noon to 4 pm

Against :-

Standard Renault Price Structure
Lack of adequate off road parking

For : -

Great Staff + Receptionists ( Friendly, Informed, Firm but Fair)
Excellent knowledge and quick correct problem solving whilst keeping costs down and understanding the customer's needs..
Quick and efficient repairs.
Honest answers.

Great chip butty cafe along Clapham high street, paper shop etc if you get bored waiting.

thanks to stuart for this reccomendation

Three sevices and a couple of repairs at Wests and there is always unexpected problems, it has got to the stage that I dread it; I may even change my manufactuer. I also have another make of car and over the 4 years I have never had a problem with the Ford dealer.

Wests in Cambridge seems to have a good reputation (at least for parts). The Bedford one I don't use any more - I buy mail order from Lifestyle Renault in Tumbridge Wells (formerly Whitehouse Renault). So much easier than having the Wests parts guy tell me he's too busy to look stuff up - I was after high value stuff at the time too.

They could do with a good kick up the arse. The new Renaults are decent cars, but they bottom out in the JD Power survey for dealer service in the UK.

I'm not sure what West's are like now. The parts dept has moved to their workshops at the top end of Newmarket Road. The knowledgeable chap (Stewart) I used to deal with has left. The last time I went there - about 12 months ago - I was kept waiting for 30 mins to be served and the new parts bloke hadn't a clue what he was doing. He did apologise to me saying that he has just moved from an Alpha dealership and knows nothing about Renault. Still, it's worth giving them another chance!!

Brilliant!!!

I was looking around the web on how to set my welder properly because im currently replacing the front panel on my corolla and stumbled upon this site..... wow its everything I was looking for and more and I was really impressed at the wire speed video.... everyone was telling me what to do and what it should sound like but really I didnt know until I saw that vid..... superb

It also wasnt till after I read about 4 of the pages until I realised the site was about R4's which are fantastic.... I got the chance to drive one in france.....amazing fun and it turns out im an R5 fanatic too lol the site went straight in my firefox speed dial lol and had to sign up!!!!

Thanks be to the creator of this glorious page lol

please advise how to post a message onto the forum. Thanks Enrico

Hello Enrico, do you want to post a new message (also called Thread)?

Click on Forums at the very top of the page

Then choose which topic eg "Renault 4 Discussion", "Technical Tips" "Projects" etc

On the top[ right side you'll see "Post New Thread" Click on that and a space will open up where you can put in a title and then write your message.

At the bottom of the box there is the choice of uploading a photo which you can do if the photo is on your computer.

When you're finished, just click on "Create Thread" and thats it!

Back