Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Continental R engine

BigMike

Hello, not sure if I'm in the right place, but I'm having trouble getting info on this engine. It's in an old Toro Lawn machine. I won't waste time now,, but if there is anyone who has experience with the engine, please let me know and I'll get into the details. Nutshell,, it has to do with an oil leak.

Thanks
Mike

Hi Mike
I don't have any experience with the Toro machines, but the engine seems very similar to the Billancourt engines in early R4s. I'm sure a lot of us with these cars will have had oil leaks at some point!
I don't know if you've seen them, but there have been a few posts on the forum about Toros -
Does yours have the 839-46 engine?
This manual might be helpful:

If you post more details, I'm sure someone will be able to help.

Hello Andy.

So the story is, oil leak dripping out of the inspection hole in the oil pan. I called a place here in the States that carries some parts and asked for a rear main crank seal and I was told this engine does not have one. I found this hard to believe, but they told me about how there are spiral grooves in the crank the throws oil back into the pan. So they said it's probably the pan gasket, which I then replaced. But it's still leaking. At this point I do not want to removed flywheel and all it's related parts if there is no seal in there to replace.

So question one... I'm looking for confirmation that there is actually NO crank seal.

Number two, if these "grooves" in the crank are supposed to "throw oil back to the pan",, is it possible that these grooves are plugged up with gunk?

Any other ideas are welcome. Thanks much.

Mike

It's true, there are no seals on this engine, neither on the crankshaft nor on the camshaft. In fact, crankshaft even has no spiral groove, oli leak control taken by a slinger only.

ventoux section.jpg

This slinger,, I assume it is part of the crank,, cast in? Or is it pressed on somehow? I can't see how oil could leak with a slinger unless it is not affixed to the crank,, ie. spinning separately from the crank.

Are there any oil gally plugs or freeze type plugs on the back of the block that could be leaking?

The problem is I cannot pinpoint the leak unless the engine is running, and I cannot run the engine if I remove the flywheel to check.

I'm considering removing the distributor and spinning the oil pump manually, thus creating oil pressure. Then I can remove flywheel to pinpoint the leak.

Hello, not sure if I'm in the right place, but I'm having trouble getting info on this engine. It's in an old Toro Lawn machine. I won't waste time now,, but if there is anyone who has experience with the engine, please let me know and I'll get into the details. Nutshell,, it has to do with an oil leak.

Thanks
Mike
Hi from Western Australia, There is a blanking plug at the back of the cam shaft but very unlikely to leak, oil leaking from the rear slinger will only happen if there is too much crank case pressure, if this is the case it will also leak at the crankshaft pully,

thank you. Have you ever heard of the throwback groves getting plugged up with crud? If this happened I would think they would not do their job. Just trying to look at all possibilities before taking the oil pan off,,, again.

Reading Richard d’s post could it be possible that the rocker cover breathers are all clogged up causing high internal oil pressure?, Only suggest as have just taken apart an engine, all the rocker breathers were blocked with oil sludge, the area behind the flywheel was caked in oil whereas the engine I have rebuilt had clear breathers and was oil/sludge free behind the flywheel upon dissasembly.
(NB. This was on two Cleon engines, not Billancourt but from other post photos they both seem to suffer from oil sludge build up with age and lack of oil changes)

Back