Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Cost to Re - Paint a Renault 4?

Rhonaandpiers

Enthusiast
Hello, Would anyone know roughly how much it would cost to get a Renault 4 re - painted and where it could be repainted properly by someone who knows what they're doing! This is the reason why i am asking as i wouldn't trust myself!:D

Derek from Renospeed does a nice job on them. Wing sealing is important for long life (assuming some wings will be replaced). Paint shops generally won't bother sealing so 5 years down the line it'll be rusty again.

For just a respray on a sound car without any messing around I'd guess a budget of £1000ish. A phone around the yellow pages or recommendations from your local auto paint shop should find a painter.

Malcolm,

Your £1000 is about right for a good job on an otherwise sound car

The problem with almost all old cars is that when you start rubbing its never quite as sound as you thought. A tiny mark turns into a hole. You can't paint holes or rust... it just goes on and you end up in tears...

Best thing if you possibly can is prep it yourself and get a good painter to do the final prep and paint. Not all will do this as then your own work will largely govern the finish.

Have a look at my van pictures. We did ALL the prep, my friend Rob is a time served body man (40 years in the trade) and a top-notch painter finished it off. It cost us 100 hours EACH and £200 for the painter (he literally just sprayed the topcoat - we even masked it up). We have to fill some dents, there was a small amount of rust on the front wing joins. Cost for this standard job from start to finish would be nearer £2k.

I have another man who I nearly gave the job to who works from home and would have charged £300. It would NOT have looked like it does now.

You really do get what you put in or what you pay someone to put in. I can think of little else as true as body painitng for this maxim.

Charliemouse.

The car I got had lost alot of its paint and had been hand painted to prevent rust.

My view is do all the prep myself,

All the repairs, all the sealing, all the priming.

Then have a go at painting - If it turns out rubbish it still will be better than what I started with and I will know that I can pay for a decent top coat to be done.

Probably a foolish mistake in the long run but here goes :)

Back