Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Creaky steering

snes

Enthusiast
Jumped into my 86 Gtl yesterday in the scorching heat, fired her up, but when I drove her away, the steering wheel seemed to creak like an old sailing ship rigging whenever I turned it.
When the weather cooled down, no more sound! Is there anything here I should be lubing, and if so, how?

Secondly, I havnt changed my tyre pressures since I got the car. I checked them, and found all to be 28-30psi. I checked the handbook and found they should be 24-25. But tyres have always been around 30 in all the cars I have owned, and I cant pluck up courage to deflate them to what seems a ridiculously low pressure. What do others think?

I think the manual pressures are ridiculously low too. Tyre technology has moved on a bit since the manual was written (softer sidewalls these days) and I tend to go for 28psi all round.

The steering squeak is likely the back of the wheel rubbing on the plastic covers attached to the dash. They'll have bent a bit in the heat and were a bit tight to start with. I don't know the answer but I do know Bobble's car squeaks all the time so post what you find as it will be useful to others. Angle grinder on the plastic bits might be effective.

Thanks Malcolm, thought I was going to have to dismantle my steering column and lube some deeply buried bush. So I'm a tad relieved to put it mildly!

I've never been into a GTL column but I'd imagine you are safe with the column bearings. Earlier ones had a plasticy rubber thing with a metal sleeve that had plenty of clearance.

All fine unless you happen to rebuild a column with the wrong bits. :!: Some work needed there on mine.

Back