Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Cruising speed

charlesa

Enthusiast
Morning all, I took Bertie, my '85 GTL on its longest journey yet under my ownership. 150 mile round trip from Hampshire to Eltham in London via M3/M25/A2 loaded with gardening clear to help clear my son's new garden. The car behaved absolutely faultlessly although I suspect not the ideal vehicle for UK motorway driving.
I cruised at or close to 60 mph although if I came up behind a 58mph limited HGV I tended to stick behind that for the sake of 2 mph !
He will go up to 70 ish but feels rather juddery above 60. Do other people find this ?
Anyway on the return journey he was absolutely laden with said gardening gear and many sacks of garden waste.

Last edited:
My 956cc cruises quite nicely at 70mph, if you are in Hampshire again look me up..

Morning all, I took Bertie, my '85 GTL on its longest journey yet under my ownership. 150 mile round trip from Hampshire to Eltham in London via M3/M25/A2 loaded with gardening clear to help clear my son's new garden. The car behaved absolutely faultlessly although I suspect not the ideal vehicle for UK motorway driving.
I cruised at or close to 60 mph although if I came up behind a 58mph limited HGV I tended to stick behind that for the sake of 2 mph !
He will go up to 70 ish but feels rather juddery above 60. Do other people find this ?
Anyway on the return journey he was absolutely laden with said gardening gear and many sacks of garden waste.

Good morning Charlesa,
I believe you did very well, although, I recommend you have the juddering investigated. If Hampshire is your home, you are not a million miles from professor Cunningham.
My preference when cruising any distance is to hover around the 90 kph mark (56 in the old money), and ensures a return of 20 km. for each litre of gas with liberal measures of lead substitute to EVERY tankful,
N.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, yes I think I need to get juddering investigated too. It's definitely not happy above 65mph.
I live in North Hampshire just off J5 M3.
Best wishes
Charles

On local roads i am somewhere between 80 and 90 km/h
When road is flat and streight it goes 100-110km/h but that is not so long.
On highway i can drive it 120-130km/h but that is not something i would like to do for longer period of time because of my ears!

Back