Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Curious Starter Motor Problem

Miguel Verde

Enthusiast
Hello All... I am in Colombia with a 1991 Lider 1300 R4. This was an import car from France. When car is cold (remember it never gets below 60 degrees F here).. the starter motor initially just spins up without engaging on the first start of the day. After normally 4 to 6 tries, it finally engages and I get her started. The curious thing is that when the engine is hot, after the car has been driven a bit, the starter engages always the first time. In other words this problem only happens first start in the morning, after that it engages first time every time NEVER a problem. I really do not want to go through removing the starter motor until I have some ideas what to even look for. Normally I would say it is the solenoid but if so why only when the car is cold? Seems a solenoid problem would be present always? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated before I go into this project. I just installed a new battery, thought maybe this could have been a contributing factor, but was not the case.

but
Starter motor pinion freewheel clutch gone. Pinion can be found quite easily, no need to replace the whole starter.
But I still need to remove the entire starter motor to replace the pinion clutch? Sorry if this is a stupid question.. I have been through everything below the vehicle but the engine was in great shape and I really do not relish taking it all apart if I don't need to.. trying to NOT remove the exhaust and intake manifolds if possible, and the related problems that can arise (stripped bolts, stuck bolts, etc). I very much appreciate your advise!

Hola Miguel! -it is possible to remove starter only without first taking off all parts you fear to,3 elbows might come in handy,as it Is a bit cramped,but doable -Reid.

Any repair on the starter motor means its removal. I'll double Reidar's post, you will only need to remove the left hand engine mounting bridge and disconnect the clutch cable and the steering column at its lower end.

I agree with all the above.
Even though my experience is with RHD cars I cannot emphasise enough the need to replace the engine mount support described above as the “bridge “
It must be difficult to do with a steering column in close proximity.
The engine mount WILL break without the brace.(“bridge”)
Vibration, noise and harshness will make your car unpleasant to drive.

I really appreciate the replies.. I just did not want to start to make the attempt to remove the starter without removing the manifolds until I knew it was definitely doable.

Starter motor pinion freewheel clutch gone. Pinion can be found quite easily, no need to replace the whole starter.
I am finally starting on this project to repair this starter.. where can I find a diagram of the starter so I know where the pinion freewheel clutch is and how to get to it once the starter is out? I am in Colombia so any parts I need I need to translate to spanish and then find them before I start the project, since I live in the Andes and need to take a bus to buy parts. Just want to get ahead of the curve. Lots of times it is much easier if I show a parts guy a picture of the part, because they use far different words here than google translate gives me. I have searched google but not finding an R4 starter diagram. Thank you guys!

Hello Miguel
I've actually never heard of a Renault 4 Lider 1300. Do you know if it's a Ducellier starter? I have a diagram in my Heynes manual which might help you. I can just scan the page and send it to you tomorrow if you like

The starter motor could have been manufactured by many different suppliers you will need the relevant parts once you've identified the model number which should be on the side I'd of the motor and visible before removal European vehicles for France and England and would normally have Paris Rhone but valeo bosch or even femsa parts have been used over last 40 years
Remember the 845 and 1108 rotate different direction so I assume different internals ?

Back