Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

CV Boots

snes

Enthusiast
I've just had to renew the drivers side outside cv boot - bought one of those universal boots that come with a cone - bit of a struggle, but I think I won.
However, a zip tie to secure the wider end will actually foul the lower wish bone when on axle stands. Do the clearances increase when the car is back on 4 wheels?
Secondly - theres lots of dire warnings about a special tool to secure the driveshaft when removing the gearbox (I've got an 86 1.1 Gtl) - tho I'm not entirely sure what would happen if you dont secure it.... However, theres no such warnings when working on the boot yet the driveshaft is if anything even more free to swing out, as the hub has been removed.
Can any one enlighten me?

The early (pre-68 definitely) driveshafts need securing - they were funny old things that could fall apart. GTLs not so much.

I use zip ties - they should be fine.

The clearance between the CV joint and the lower wishbone is almost constant. So you may want to check it before the zip-tie is knocked off.
You can re-use the old spring-wire clip, but if it has been lost, you can simply use wire, it provides much more clearance than zip-ties.

Back