Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

CV Joints, or not?

gpovanman

More than a 4 is excess!
My 1990 Clan went to the garage just before Xmas with just under 90k kms on the clock to be prepared for a Spanish MoT. At the time the mechanic changed what he called a Spurstange in German, which I read to be a track rod. After 1k kms, it started to tick a bit on the front. I took it back to the garage, and the mechanic said that he had tightened something up. It has got progressively worse over the last 10k kms, but every time that a mechanic gets in the car, it won't do it! It seems to be happening more than 90% of the time now, but there are times when it does not. Does this point to a knackered CV joint, and if so, do these things go frequently? I think that the aprt will be available here, but are they very expensive? At no time in my ownership have either of the gaiters been split, and it seems a bit odd to me that it not only starts after somebody has been playing with the steering, but also that I did 20k kms with no problems prior to him playing. Thanks for any input on this one, because I have been back to the Renault garage 4 times in recent months with this problem, but the bloody noise does not appear when they are sat in it, and it is driving me mad!!

It's not going fail if it's intermittent - just annoying. Did the mechamic happen to fit new tyres at the same time as replacing the track rod? Or is his workshop on a gravel road? Stones in the tyre tread are the most common cause of ticking noises, though you would only notice them at low speed.

Is your ticking noise speed related? Or does it change in character when you go around corners?

It is not so much a ticking as a clattering. It is definitely something to do with the suspension or drivetrain. To make a noise like this, it would have to be a boulder in the tyre! It does not make any noise on the straight, but is now awful on right handers when pulling away, and isnt too good on left handers, either!! I looked at the garage's website the other day, and now notive that the guy who did the work, is no longer listed as being part of their team I have got it boooked in with them for the 10th of May, and will be taking it very easy until then.

If the noise is rather "heavy" it should be the driveshaft. Typically, it should decrease when coasting or decelerating. If it is really bad you should "feel" it through the steering on sharp turns. I doubt, as they never go that bad suddently. It can well be a wheel bearing,though, the noises they produce when worn vary.

Thanks for your help, guys. It is going to go to the garage on Thursday night to be looked at. I have tried the wheel bearings, but everything does seem tight enough. It only makes this noise when you have got your foot on the gas, and only on bends. It has got rather less intermittent over the last week or so. It is now there all of the time. I will get back to you when I have got it sorted to tell you what the hell is is!!

Back