Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

daisys waterworks

daisy

Enthusiast
hi,can any one help???
i was started this morning and after a bit of a strugle and a few odd words from my owner i moved out of the hole i had been in for the past few years
also my mate bob lent a hand with a spade.all was well untill i started getting hoter and hoter then my water started coming out of my overflow bottle!!
my owner thought to take out the thermastat but she could not find it. then we tried adding anti freeze, then holding the overflow bottle in the air to let gravity take its course but all to no availe.So has any one got any idea what to do next.
The rest of my engine is running smooth.even when the spark plugs are checked they are a dusky brownish colour. so my mixture seems ok.
i dont even cough or splutter any more!! it just seems my water dosent want to stay:confused:

The thermostat is in the top hose at the water pump end. Remove it and test that it opens by pouring boiling water over it. If it does not open, re-fit the top hose and fill the system up with water. Bleed the air out by holding the water bottle above the engine and open the bleed screw that pokes through the bulkhead on the passenger side. Make sure the heater valve is set to hot. If you want to, start the engine to speed up the process. Once all air bubbles have gone, tighten the bleed screw, replace the bottle and run the engine to get it really hot. Check that the electric fan comes on and also check that it does not boil up - you can tell by looking at the water in the bottle. If it boils you may have a head gasket gone.
If all appears well, drain the water, replace the thermostat, add anti freeze and bleed again.

thanks steve,it looks bad ,i checked the big hose on top of the water pump yesterday and it was not there so i must assume the worst.it boiled up after about 5mins.i did do a head gasket change when i first got daisy (10 years ago)That was the reason she was in the scrap yard. when i think back i seem to think just before the wheel bearing went she was getting a bit hot under the collar.
Ah well its a nice day and daisy is outside in the garden so i might as well (get out and get under and fix up my autombile)

Back