Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Dead R21 Savanna 1.9d Needs Help

Ok thanks for that paul. I am gonna get the old pump tonight hopefully and see whats involved in changing the seal. I will try a new seal and if that dont cure it I will come back to you for the Bosch set up. Obviously its gonna be a lot less hassle and money for me if I can get away with just poppin an o ring in the pump on the car as appose to havin to strip everything down again and p155 around. Will let you know asap.

Many thanks,

Nige

I Think I have fixed it or maybe I haven't

Ok I have managed to change the four O rings on the spindles on top of the pump and its all looking pretty dry so far.:) Only prob with it is I can't seem to get the tick over to sit stable anymore.:confused: Its kinda hard to explain but will give it a go. I took the pump to bits and put it back together exactly as it was other than with the new seals. I started the engine and the tickover seemed really low (about 500rpm) so sped it up to 800. when I blipped the throttle pedal it sat around 2500 when back at tick over. I turned it back down to around the 1000 and went for a test drive. When ticking over it was fine the first couple of times but then went down to 500rpm a few times then back up to 800 - 1000 rpm. I have messed about with it all day now and it seems that if you apply any downward pressure on the throttle lever the revs pick up. There was a lot of wear and a slight groove around the hole in the housing when i took the spindle out but seeing as though its never given this kind of symptom in the past i just thought the new seals should take up some of the wear and it should be fine. The only other thing I can think to try now is swop the spindles and top housing from the old fubared pump onto the one on the car.

Next question?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Have just give the old girl a good check over ready for the mot and all seems fine apart from there appears to be a crack appearing on the front cross member above the near side rear bush where it bolts up to the floor. Its almost a perfect circle around the top of the bush but about 1/4 of an inch bigger than the bush insert itself. Other than being like a spacer washer of some description thats coming away due to the worn bush I can only assume its the cross member cracking:(. The car although its done more miles than gods dog is to tidy to scrap in my beleif so although it looks like a b'stard of a job I am wiling to change the crossmember if anyone has got one they wanna donate or sell me cheap?

Thanks

Nige

Pics OF the Bush

These are the best pics I could grab of the bush. As you can see there is a perfect ring of steel around the top of the bush, I am just not sure if its part of the subframe or does it come as part of the bush kit?

Thanks

Nige

• Photo-0008.jpg
    Photo-0008.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 148
  • Photo-0009.jpg
    Photo-0009.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 148
hi nige
i have been fixing renault diesels 1.6 1.9 2.1 regularly since r4 s became a rarity in my workshop
basically all older non turbo f8q except bosch will fit and run fine in my experience
do not attempt kangoo or any pump newer than 1996 as will be coded to immobiliser system and pretty useless unless you manage to get all the security shield off with grinder !! not recomended as metal dust will end up inside pump

bosch pumps are better but you would have to change pumps and injector pipes as will not run if you try mixing (pressures are diff )

as far as differences the steel bracket bolts to head and clio one is different to extra 19 21 etc as bonnet is lower and uses shorter belt if poss get bracket as well so you dont need to remove pulley (or risk getting a pumpthat has had hammer treatment !
ther are two types of pulley as well and some have two key ways one for bosch one for lucas ther is also a slotted type which is probably what you have now

as for timing get haynes manual lock crank at tdc find marks on pulleys mark with paint
new belt will have white lines to match
also verify key way angle as if you remove slotted pulley you could be 120 degrees out
if you remove pulley from key way with hammer you will kill pump !so a suitable puller will be needed
later pumps 96 on have horrible internal hex pulley and ignore !!!

hope this helps if you want to phone me number is on my profile as you are a bit too far to pop round for a chat :) or buy a pump off me :(

good luck paul

ps lucas cav and roto diesel (and now delphi) are all same type just company name change depending on year

Hi Paul,
I would like to remove my LUCAS EPIC on Kangoo D65 from 2001. F8Q engine and replace it with a mechanical one. I do have some issues though, which P/N pump to buy, would my existing pump holder be ok, is timming adjusted by rotating pump in its holder or is it done by 2-part pulley (which I do not have?

I have done a few of these and have got a brand new pump sitting here and will reply again after i have got a photo and model numbers as it it is not accessible immediately

Back