Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Difference

newtome

Enthusiast
Hello to all,

I was looking at this picture of two 1991 r4's, they look so much different. Can someone tell me the difference between them????? The GLT look's alot fuller, it can't just be the plastic on the bottom.

Carl

r41991_2_189.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Both the cars would be identical bodywise. I'd say it is a trick of the camera lens. It may have been intentional to make the Clan (GTL) with the plastic cladding seem a lower profile car than the cheap model Savane.

The effect you are getting from the picture may have just steered you into buying the more attractive looking and more expensive model :-)

Hi Simon,

(Both the cars would be identical bodywise), that's good news as I have the cheap model Savane, but I bet your right (steered you into buying the more attractive looking and more expensive model). I'm sure they got alot of them, if I was to buy a new one I would have been one too!!!!!!!!. Living in Italy it's hard to come by parts (haven't ckecked with Renault dealer yet), doing the junkyard cheap check first, but it's good to know if I find a GTL I can still use the body parts.

Thanks Carl

newtome said:
doing the junkyard cheap check first, but it's good to know if I find a GTL I can still use the body parts.

Probably one thing to watch out for is the doors, with yours being a Savane it is probably a later model with the concealed top door hinge on the front and rear doors. The earlier cars have an exposed top door hinge that sticks out from the body. Those early doors wouldn't fit your car, but that difference is pretty obvious.

the only external difference is the side rubbing strips and the front bumper extensions (ram horns). On the inside the Savane has no digital clock, the GTL does.

The basic difference was that Savanes (former TL) had the 956cc engine while Clans (Former GTL) had 1108cc. No other differences except for those visibles on the picture (wheels, bumper handles, side strips). The Clan had the option of sunroof and metallic paint, too.

Back