Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Disc removal

Richard Williams

Enthusiast
Any words of wisdom from experienced members for removing the discs off the GTl. I have got to the point of removing the drive shaft,that,s fine but the disc is very tight on the bareing and will not shift when hit!!
One more question has anyone replaced the rubber covers on the drive shafts themselves? I have some that are about to go but not owrn and it seems a shame to replace with new just for the sake of a couple of rubber gaiters.

For discs a good hammer seems to be the only answer - you can't use a puller as you'd be pushing against the driveshafts which would pop out. See http://www.renault4.co.uk/tech-brake-discs.htm

Halfshaft boots are a bit fiddly, but the Haynes manusl covers them well. From memory, once the old boot is removed there is a three legged spider holding the joint together. That pings off with a screwdriver, then you need to make a cone using tin from an old oil can which is placed over the end of the driveshaft, everything is covered with oil for lubrication, then the new boot will expand enough as it goes up the cone to go around the CV joint. The Haynes manual explaians it all better than I have.

• tin-cone.jpg
    tin-cone.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 107
Success

Just a notice to say that I descoverd a way of removing the disc without the need to risk fracturing the metal. I used two large flat head screwdrivers with two nuts lodged under them to maximise the leverage, Bit fidderly but works really well 2 min job. Anyway good to know there more than oe way around problems. Next question.... what are people's favorite ball joint extractors? Mine is really fifficult and destroys whats left ofthe rubber boots.

Back