Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Disk brake and radiator sender problems

snes

Enthusiast
Just running over a few issues with my new 86 R4 - fan not switching on, suspect radiator sender unit faulty. If so, where would I get a replacement?

Second, slight imbalance on front brakes (24%), so had a little nosey - brakes are Girling discs. Only fault seemed to be sticking lower plunger (whatever it is called!) caused by rubber sleeve slipping up the shaft when fitted and causing very tight movement. I gather Girling are no more - so how do I obtain spares? Could just the rubber sleeve be replaced? Anyone experienced this sort of prob before?

Thanks!

Franzose have the temperature sender. http://www.franzose.de/en/Renault/R4/Motorkuehlung/Page-3/ They can fail, but often the problem is caused by bad earths and dirty connectors. Can be checked by removing the two connectors from the switch and touching them together to see if the fan spins. If the system isn't pressurising properly the fan won't come on either.

For the Girling calipers I remove the pin and lubricate it. I distantly recall one where something funny had happened in that area and replaced the caliper. Don't recall what the problem was, but could have been a bit of rubber coming out of the pin housing. I find them very sensitive to how well the pads can move too. I'll remove stuck pads and clean up the sliders every couple of years.

Back