Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Distributors

my wife has a French LHD 4L 1984, I think the engine is a Billencourt engine? 845cc, the previous owner seems to have stripped the points adjusting thread, so i want to replace the complete distributor but there are so many, how can work out what I need as a replacement?

my wife has a French LHD 4L 1984, I think the engine is a Billencourt engine? 845cc, the previous owner seems to have stripped the points adjusting thread, so i want to replace the complete distributor but there are so many, how can work out what I need as a replacement?
There should be a number stamped on the side of the distributor body. If you could tell us that and post some photos of the distributor with the cap on and off, we should be able to work out what you need.

Here is a photo of distributor with the cap and cover removed, I will take another look to see if I can see any numbers stamped on the outside.
Many thanks20221010_122924.jpg

Here is a photo of distributor with the cap and cover removed, I will take another look to see if I can see any numbers stamped on the outside.
Many thanksView attachment 31524
The numbers would be really useful. Is your car an R1123 with the 800 05 B1B engine, by any chance? If you turn the distributor cap upside down, is its outer diameter approximately 73mm?
I'm hoping that the number R287 D83 will be on the side of the distributor (probably the left-hand side in your photo).

"... the previous owner seems to have stripped the points adjusting thread ..."
If you mean the threads on the adjuster bolt/screw inside the spring, then you can easily replace just that (& the nut).
If you mean the points retaining screw, that goes into the base plate, why not drill & thread it to the next size up?

Back