Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Does my R4 have a R4 engine? confused now!

YellowVan

Enthusiast
My fuel pump on my R4 has had a leak for some time and eventually I got around to getting a new pump.
Today I set about fitting the pump and was most perplexed when I removed it. The engine side of things is a nobble that moves up and down against the fuel pump that has a seasaw type arrangement at its mating surface to the engine which pumps the pump. I was expecting a hole in which to slide in the arm from the pump.
I have looked through Haynes and can find no referance to this type of pump and or fuel pump presentation on the engine itself.
Is there another type of pump available for the R4 that does not have an arm that is moved up and down, but is pumped by a nobble from the engine that goes into the pump.
I am wondering if my engine is infact an R4 now! The pump installed has Sofabex on it.

Any advice would be great as I dont know what pump now to get for the car.

Cheers Yellowvan

Just got a pic, what do you think, you can see the engine on the right and the pump on the left.

• FuelPump.jpg
    FuelPump.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 728
pump problems

hi thought i had already explained this one :)
(on a previous post) http://www.renault4.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=1304
all rhd 1108 have the pumps you describe (cant comment on lhd as not common in uk ) reason for different pump operating lever on uk cars is so steering colum clears pump which on SOME lhd 1108 engines is lever operated

Angel will no doubt be able to confirm this living in lhd land

if you post your engine code all will be revealed no doubt
r5 mk1 has same principal idea further complicated by a return pipe back to the tank ie 3 pipes on pump on some versions
(sofabex was OE supplier )
fun arent they these lovely cars :)

paul

Hi,
Sorry Paul you are right you did explain before.

Just found it a little odd as I'd not seen one of the pumps without a level arm on it before, also all the pumps I have seen so far here in france seem to be the lever type.

Going to be a trip to the auto factors/scrappers.

The one installed is an R5 pump then as it has 3 pipes, the bottom return hose has been blanked off.

Cheers

If you have a LHD car the pumps are interchangeable. Bits and pieces like spacers are any push rods are specific to the pumps though and would need changing over when you change he pump.

RHD cars need fuel pumps like in your photo. The LHD one gets in the way of the steering column.

Greetings to the RHD world!
I remember removing such a fuel pump from a 1108 R5 engine that was the same (the hanging down version with return pipe).
The last R4 1108 fuel pump I removed was over 5 years ago...can't really remember if it was lever or pin operated.

Back